Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help again!

Anyone have suggestions for finding a Sub shop in Westchester County NY? A couple of us were wondering and no one has been able to figure out my problem so I guess I have to bring it in! :(

'88 Dl wagon

So I had my mechanic do the front passenger cv axle because I had no time. It definately needed to be done but now my mechanic is telling me that the clicking noise is actually the transfer case or more so the differential in the front. I have yet to check it out but I was wondering if anyone has any comments/thoughts/advice. As I said, I do not know what he is talking about yet but I want to know if it is safe to drive or if it need to be fixed what I am looking at. I know the 4wd works fine so I am not sure what the deal is. Any thoughts are greatly appriciated.

-Chris

edit.gif

well, you can count out the transfer case, cause soobs don`t have one:) it almost sounds like the mechanic is trying to rip you off.did you check and see if the axle is new?maybe it needs wheel bearings, or possibly something in the tranny.you could always just drive it and see what happens, worse comes to worse, drive in RWD mode for a while:grin:

True. The mechanic does not make any money off me and therefore does not want to be bothered. The car drives fine but it is pretty embarrasing as it sounds like the CV joint is shot even though it is driving straign and has just been replaced. I just want to figure it out so I can go back and punch him in the eye!

If you want to take a small drive..Danbury Gulf @ exit 4 off 84...The mechanic,Chris, is excellent with Subarus. He has done some amazing work to an old hatchback...plus he is the only mechanic I would trust to touch my Loyale (besides a certain group of club member...you know who you are and that I love you guys)

It is possible there is the wrong axle in the car. I had this same exact problem in the same car. After 5 attempts ot fix it, i took it to subaru, and they put the right axle in the car (and the job was cheaper then the private mechanic I used) and i never had the problem again.

nipper

I thought the same thing. I asked him about it and he said he counted the slines just the way I told him etc. Question is, would that cause damage since I have been driving it like that?

Its not just the splines, its some dimension (length?) or diameter of the stub thats only a few mm difference, but thats enough to make the axle quit really fast.

nipper

Just means the axle will self destruct rather quickly ... dangerous well .... you do have spare drive wheels, in the back (4wd).. but it may strand you.

I would get it fixed right, at the very least get the proper axle from subaru and have the mechanic install it free of charge as a warrenty item..

nipper