Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help connecting the temperature control cable

Some work was done on my 92 Legacy wagon at the beginning of summer that involved disconnecting the temperature control cable from the heater unit. The cable clamp evidently was not installed correctly, as the cable has come loose. I do have a Haynes manual, but illustration 10.4 doesn't show much detail. The clamp that I have looks very similar to the "Cable clamp" (part #35) in illustration 10.9 of the Haynes manual. I don't believe the attachment point on the heater housing has broken or that the wrong clamp was used (but both are possibilities). Perhaps there is an additional part involved ...

I normally can figure this stuff out, but not this time (at least not yet). Can someone provide an explanation on how to do this, or perhaps point me to a better illustration.

Thanks ...

I'm not sure how similar they are, I took my 99 legacy heater/ac unit out to replace bulbs and disconnected the cable at that time. I re-installed it myself without any manuals easily. Do you mean the cable is disconnected from the back of the heater/ac unit in the dash? Have you pulled the heater/ac unit out?

• 5 years later...

Hey guys--

It is cold out there and the tempature control cable end (portion down in the passenger side foot well) has come off the heater box in our 97 OBW. The end of the cable has an eye and I have slid it back on a white shaft. How do I make it stay on and make sure the cable is adjusted correctly so we can get heat back inside our daily driver. Thanks a million. D3

CarolinaPilot, as already stated, there should be a black clip on the side of the heater box. But if you can't find it, or can't get it connected, it is cold outside! Just move the lever that the cable attaches to until you get hot air, at least until you can look for the clip to hook it up correctly.

Thanks for the reply and help guys. I got the cable attached and the heater box opening to allow hot air in!!! What I can't figure out is where this 1/2 circle c-clip goes on the cable exactly. 53657934815365793481 What do you think?

CarolinaPilot, as already stated, there should be a black clip on the side of the heater box. But if you can't find it, or can't get it connected, it is cold outside! Just move the lever that the cable attaches to until you get hot air, at least until you can look for the clip to hook it up correctly.

Basically, take the cable out of the holder, but leave the hook end attached to the heaterbox lever. Set the temp control knob to hottest. Then move the lever on the heaterbox all the way to full hot. Then just snap the cable into it's holder.