Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time to play...boooost!

WJM

So the SCCA's SEB did away with boost regulation...

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/05-12-fastrack.pdf

(Page 5 and 6...the section that applies is under "Street Prepared Category" and section F...

So, time to turn up the boost.

Stage 1...max SAFE tune with stock injectors. I am going to estimate ~11 to 12 PSI. Tonight we are going to do some wideband road tuning, then its back to the dyno for a rebivision to the map attributes and ranges...then its time to make some more power....oh, and a cat delete pipe before all that.

Next step: ARP studs might be comming in.... :banana:

13 psi the injectors are MAXED out at 4500 rpm...goes danger lean at 5500.

Charts to come tomorrow.

11 psi was still ok, but at redline it was still around 13:1 AFR...so its backed off to 9 until I get the new fuel system done.

That and I put a really safe street map in...makes 120hp/145tq at the wheels wth 9 psi.

At 13psi...~140/160.

At 11psi...~130/150.

The map that we fine tuned with 9psi, we still got ~130/155 at the wheels, but we were getting light detonation when the intake temps came up, so I backed it off to a very safe and conservative level....cant be blowing stuff up.

Next, fuel rail system, 545cc injectors, and 16 psi.

Holy crap, they should be good for a few horses!

No kidding. 18 psi here i come.

240hp/280tq is what I expect to see on racegas at the wheels. I am going to try pump first...but, I think I'll hit a wall with pump at around 180/230.

I plugged the stock ECU back up. I got tired of hearing knock.

More boost+stock ECU=more power, and no more knock.

Charts to be posted tonight.

Interesting! I'll be looking forward to the charts. This is inspiring.

can't wait to piggyback off of your findings...my lazy arse.

Wow! The stock ecu was yielding more power than the MS? Dang! I guess that still gives me a glimmer of hope that with some hardparts(i.e., injectors, custom header, larger diameter downpipe, (OEM S13 Silvia) T-25 turbocharger swap, 5th injector, and maybe a tad larger diameter intercooler piping) + about 3psi more on the boost(14psi total), and I believe my horsepower goals might still be within reach. Well, I will have to wire in that Fields "Boxer Series" SFC that I have to get rid of the fuel cut issue and give me a little control over the larger injectors. I honestly don't plan on running more than 14 or 15psi on my motor. I don't necessarily want to build a monster, but a very quick sleeper would be nice.

Well, good luck on everything Will. We are behind you 110%!!!

Patrick

Well, I will have to wire in that Fields "Boxer Series" SFC that I have to get rid of the fuel cut issue and give me a little control over the larger injectors. I honestly don't plan on running more than 14 or 15psi on my motor. I don't necessarily want to build a monster, but a very quick sleeper would be nice.

Patrick

Patrick,

I have one of those gizmos in my garage. Worked great on my Outback Sport when it was turbocharged. Can you post installation instructions once you complete it? I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. I know it is in my basement or garage somewhere. :rolleyes:

Were you controlling timing with the megasquirt?

I'm thinking of pulling my SAFC out. I'm worried about it not passing through the voltage above 5v.

the SAFC wont work. Pull it out.

MS was controlling timing. It did a great job...but there is no knock feedback/control system for the MS-2 yet, so the MS project has been halted as of today until the knock control comes out.

the SAFC wont work. Pull it out.

MS was controlling timing. It did a great job...but there is no knock feedback/control system for the MS-2 yet, so the MS project has been halted as of today until the knock control comes out.

ummm since when or did i miss something??

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm new to the board but I'm active on the Turbobricks board - a Turbo volvo site. I've been reading up and I ran across this post. I know it's an older post but I was wondering if you MS folks were past this. They are running MS 3 or older MS with daughter boards these days on the volvos doing boost control knock sensing/control, N2O, water injection etc so it seems like your knock worries with MS should not be an issue. Let me know if I can point any of you folks that way. I'm about to MS my 740 so I've been doing alot of reading over there and on the MSefi site.

Thanks

Renny

ps. there's a guy on our board who builds MS boxes he is just about ready to launch his own site where you can buy MS in various stages bells and whistles.