Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you 2wders get for mpg??

So, what do you 2wders get for mpg? - not the awd with the fuse in, but the real 2wd subarus without the added weight of the full awd equipment.

derekd

I have 1995 Legacy L FWD with close to 200k miles. I get ~26mpg. Most of the driving is on highway, but I have pretty heavy foot too.

I have a 96 obw manual awd with 135k on it - and BF Goodrich ATs as well. Love it. I also have a 90 Legacy. The Legacy has 182k and is on its second tranny which has considerable torque bind (yeah, I went down the list - tire size, tranny fluid, dutyc/fuse). As a goal oriented sort of guy, I would like to get 100k more out of it. I do alot of distance driving. The junkyard has a 2wd tranny they will exchange for the sloppy awd one they sold me last time. I know it's heresy and just plain not right, but I have too much money in the car already and just want to run it another 100k. I also would consider doing an airridesuspensionectomy to it as well. The suspension works fine, but better to yank it and sell it than to deal with the lowrider issue later I guess. Wow, talk about nuetering a subie!

I don't mean to be a heretic! Derekd

You will get about 2 more mpg by doing a 2wd conversion. MPG has more to do with drag, gearing, weight, etc. than 2wd vs awd.

Keep your awd and run syn fuilds, you will get the same gains and still have a real subaru.

\

With my 94 Liberty, I can get between 24-26/27 MPG for average city & highway Driving. IF i drove on full tank on full hwy it'll be around 26 - 29mpg.

If you use correct oils, tyre pressure, minimise wind drag, take your time, don't overtake too many cars unless they're driving too slow and don't be heavy foot then you would be able to gain that kind of mpg.

EDIT: - Mine is 5MT AWD model

Cheers

AP

On my stock 95 legacy 2wd I drive to work 50 mi one way from Salem to Portland . Mostly freeway. On fill up my calculator show 31-32 MPG and never less.

My 96 Legacy OBW AWD 5 spd with full Syn fluids gets 30-32 mpg highway. I drive 100 miles per day, mostly highway.

FWD '93 Legacy L wagon w/automatic, 233k miles, anywhere from 20-24 mpg in town, 28-31 mpg highway.

So, what do you 2wders get for mpg? - not the awd with the fuse in, but the real 2wd subarus without the added weight of the full awd equipment.

derekd

IT'S LEGACY, SAY IT!!! LEGACY!!! IT'S NOT A JEEP!!!

GET IT RIGHT OR I'LL SWIM DOWN THERE AND POUND THE "LIBERTY" RIGHT OUT OF YOU!!

i'm just playin.

heh.. Liberty is same car as Legacy, Legacy which is common name for countries other than in Australia. Really, my Liberty is really an Legacy GT with 2.2 but badged as Liberty GX.

Cheers

AP

heh.. Liberty is same car as Legacy, Legacy which is common name for countries other than in Australia. Really, my Liberty is really an Legacy GT with 2.2 but badged as Liberty GX.

Cheers

AP

yeah, i know all that. and the Jeep Liberty we have here is called a Cherokee there.

If you have an australian version of a legacy GT then you'd have a 2.5. You might have the LS.

I have a '91 Legacy L wagon with 179K. During the warmer months, everyday driving (fair amount of open road) is about 26 - 28mpg. Open road only mileage is typically 31 - 32, although 2x I got almost 33.

In the winter, the mileage falls. Everyday driving ~ 24mpg.