Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cigarette Lighter Replacement For a 1986 Subaru GL

I dont recall how it was on the 86, but I would think you could get a good look at the backside by taking the console out. It is possible that it will just push out from the backside. You should be able to take out all the console stuff in about 10 Minutes or less.

I dont recall how it was on the 86, but I would think you could get a good look at the backside by taking the console out. It is possible that it will just push out from the backside. You should be able to take out all the console stuff in about 10 Minutes or less.

The problem is how it is locked in there I cant get it out (special tool maybe) I already got the console out but just no luck getting th estupid thing out...

Thanks fir replying though

• 4 months later...
The lighter is held in place by a "nut" on the backside. Often it can be loosen with just your hand.

OMIGOD. I just tried to remove the old lighter plug, socket and facing from my 91 Loyale and it was damn near impossible!! I feel like a complete hack as I have now done some damage to the plastic facing next to the lighter hole. I finally got it out only after complete crushing and deforming the old lighter socket.

Even after examining the rusted remains I was still unable to figure the 'blooming' thing out, until an epiphany occured just this morning - read on:

The outer, black metal, rectangular frame which fits into the dash is not supposed to be removed (mine was rusted out so I did anyway). Behind the dash is the outer metal socket which is firmly attached to the black frame. Leave that in place as well. At the tail end of this socket you will find a larger threaded ring. By unscrewing this ring and then pulling the wire plug off the rear terminal, you *should* be able to slide the inner metal socket (and white light ring) out the front of the dash.

If anyone has anything to add or ammend to this description please let me know.

(I'm now contemplating doing an entire interior/dash/trim/panel/carpet swap with the grey interior from my black suby... the bright blue-on-blue is kinda giving me a headache and since I marred the dash getting the old lighter out, I might as well, right? Anyone done this swap before??)