Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have acquired two 93 Legacy sedans. I am going to make one good one out of the two. The one with the good body needs an engine (crankshaft pulley issue) and is not an AWD. The donor car is an AWD. I am thinking of converting the FWD to AWD. My question is what controls the AWD system? I read about Legacy777's conversion and didn't see anything about a computer or anything. Would I also need the engine control module and the trans control module from the AWD car? They are both auto trans.

I have acquired two 93 Legacy sedans. I am going to make one good one out of the two. The one with the good body needs an engine (crankshaft pulley issue) and is not an AWD. The donor car is an AWD. I am thinking of converting the FWD to AWD. My question is what controls the AWD system? I read about Legacy777's conversion and didn't see anything about a computer or anything. Would I also need the engine control module and the trans control module from the AWD car? They are both auto trans.

I seem to remeber earlier models it was just easier to find a AWD car and fix it then convert it. Newer ones it looks like its possible but again alot of part work... i can be wrong.

nipper

I went from auto to manual, and since the MT doesn't use a trans computer, I just got rid of the TCU.

For your situation, you would just have to verify the extra wiring is there for the AWD solenoids, etc. If the wiring is there, you'd just have to find an AWD TCU.

If the wiring is not there, that will definitely make things a little more difficult, but not impossible. You'd just have to run the extra wires to the TCU.