Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable Adjustment

I just spent an hour reading previous post on this topic and still dont understand. I knoww all to well how to adjust the clutch cable. Also, I no longer have hill holder. It has been argued that that is fine. But I put a spring on there to make sure it is returning to position. So here is what is happpening. There is a chirping sound coming from somewhere in the area of the clutch. Prior to putting in the return spring (in place of the hill holder), I could get the chirping to stop bu pulling up the clutch pedal after shifting. So there is still this sweet spot when it chirps until I push the pedal in a way and then it stops. So I am really worrried that I am going to break something i.e. TO Bearing. So looking in the book it says to adjust the pedal height to make it level with the brake pedal. This is simple enough, there is a bolt under the dash that pushes the pedal up. So once this is done I go out and start to monkey with the clutch adjustment. Say I removed the cable altogether and ran it like that in idle. With the return spring in place, it theoretically should be okay right? Well anyway, might be moot. Nonetheless, I culd tighten the adjusting bolt on the Cable until the cows come home or until I run out of thread. Where does this need to be. I have heard references to free play and all that but I dont quite get it. I can tell where it starts to move theFork back toward the Firewall of the car. Like I said I can keep going and going and going, when do I stop. I can get in car and shift and get the car moving but this chirping is freaking me out. I almost think that it is chirping when the return spring was not in place. However I am pretty sure I hear a clunking when the clutch pedal is engaged. Hopefully some genius will be able to read between the lines on this post and give some instructions better than those in my Chiltons. or at least give thier opinion, so that a light will go off in my head on this whoile deal. I want to avoid anything that would cause me to pull this engine again. Thanks

I'm kinda tired so I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but I'll give you my schpeel on clutch adjustment and I hope it helps.

It sounds like you need a heavier return spring, as the existing one is not holding the TO bearing off of the clutch fingers all the way. The chirping noise you hear is the TO bearing barely riding on the clutch fingers. You also need to make sure that the cable moves freely, as resistance in the cable will not allow the clutch fork to return properly.

To adjust the clutch, don't worry about if the pedal is even with the brake pedal or anything like that unless you adjust the clutch properly and it still has problems.

Start with the adjusting nut all the way loose. Grab the clutch fork in your hand and push it in the direction the cable pulls until you feel it pushing the TO bearing against the fingers. Tighten the adjusting nut until the fork sits so that you have to push it just a little bit (like a centimeter or so) for the TO bearing to touch the fingers. Make sure the return spring pulls the fork and the TO bearing back off the fingers when the clutch is released. Basically, you want the TO bearing to be almost touching but not quite.

• 1 year later...

not to hijack this thread or anything, but YEEHAW!! The soob that I just acquired about a week ago was from an old man that used it on his farm for the last 2 years, and didn't need it anymore, so he gave it to me since he knew I was a redneck (I thanked him for the nice compliment) and liked to get free stuff. When he handed me the keys and title, he said that it needed a new exhaust and a new clutch since it never engaged until the very top of the pedal travel. After reading this thread, I went out and adjusted the clutch and now it works very well, grabs hard and holds on tight. The muffler was loose, so that was an easy fix. I drove it to work today and it worked wonderfully well, so much so that I will be parking the Ford Ranger and using this as my primary as it is so fun to drive.

To all that read this thread, thank you very much for your time spent on this and all the other threads, to answer questions that have been posed probably about a thousand times in a hundred different ways and always being willing to answer it one more time and not flaming anyone just because you are the master-poster and the threadstarter is a newbie. I sincerely appreciate it!

• 1 year later...