Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 - Intermittent knock - what?!

Engine is EA-81 N/A

Okay - heres the full story- replaced engine with an engine that was taken out of a running car, runs fabulous for an hour or two of running time. I'm really pleased with how things were going other than the oil guage flipping out (way high and would stay there if you blipped the throttle or below zero at idle) Came back out, start up the car... runs for a few seconds then KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.... Oil level was there - pump was pumping... Even so, I went and replaced the pump. I primed the pump with oil, turned the engine over with the starter for a little bit to prime the engine - then started it. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK Then I got sick and fed up and TORE A$$$$ up the driveway and let it idle as I locked things up. I'm not goint to let a engine kick it dead without me putting a few fun miles on it. But........ it went away..... what the.... stayed away for a good while too as I would take it on shorter drives and even on some longer ones. Sat. night I was driving home from my friends and KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK..... WHAT THE!??!?!?! Put some oil in (it was a little over a quart low - but not dry) Still had to take my girlfriend home so I did, got a tad quieter and now its just as loud again... ugh... this car is testing me too much.

Any of you folks out in soobie-land enjoyed my same situation??? suggestions??

Also have a wierd high-pitch squeaky sound during the first 20 mins of running that goes away with pushing in the clutch (even the tiniest bit) Another soob I've swapped engines on did this too... what gives?

- Erik -

The squeaky sound is likely the throwout bearing...maybe your clutch cable is adjusted a bit too tight.

Just trying to brainstorm here:

Are you sure it's a rod knock and not some other noise? I wonder if maybe the oil pickup screen is partially clogged, causing oil starvation sometimes. Does the oil pressure change when it makes the noise?

My brat starts to behave like that when the oil starts getting old and thin...

Oil is brand new - less than a week old

And the sqeaky sound being the cable too tight?? If i were to tighten the cable more, in theory; it could go away completely - but i'm not trying to ruin a good cable. I say that because if you even just push on the clutch fork where the cable attaches with your finger it will stop. (in the direction that the cable would pull it of course)

- Erik -

Edit - when the oil pump gernaded in the engine upon removal and I had to drill a few holes to get it out - shards got in the screen so I totally took the pan off and blew that clean. I wish it were nice and simple like that. and as far as oil pressure - right now it is guageless as the guage flipped out and died shortly after swaping engines and I havent had the chance to wire another guage yet

ITS GONE?!?!! UGHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!! Last night - took it to pay off my VW, it was wet so I decided I was going to have some fun with it at least if the engine was gonna go kablooey. I FLOGGED IT.......HARD.... after the first burnout I pulled up to the ATM and the knocking was so loud I could hear it echoing. Drop off my payment a few blocks away, let it idle in his driveway for a bit as I'm in talking to him. Come out, still knocking some... the rest of the way to the closests milk-and-TP selling establishment and all the way home I ran that BRAT like a scalded dog, suprised no one called the cops. Anyway, this should blow it up right?? 5K shifts, all sorts of not-niceness.... pull up to my house, turn off the stereo.... idling..... perfectly. Knock isn't knocking... what the heck is going on?!?!

I'm pretty dern sure its a knock, cant think of another RPM related knockknockknockknock soundcomming from the engine. Ok guys, Oil psi guage aside, ANYONE ever have anything like this?!?!?!

- Erik -

Sure its a knock and not a ping? Timing advanced too far, or fuel grade too low, or fuel filters clogged? Just checking.......

Definately sure its not a tranny or motor mount,

I thought at first it could be a spark-knock issue as well but I played with the timing all over and it didn't seem to right itself - 91 octane is whats in the tank.

These are all good diagnoses guys, just ones I've amazingly gone through already. :-\ thanks to those who've spoke up so far! :headbang:

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Does sound like its a rod knock. You could try (if you havn't already) the 'ol screwdriver stethoscope trick (hold the screwdriver against the block at various locations and put the handle to your ear - gently, you can rupture your ear drum like that if your not careful) and see if you can pinpoint the location of the knock.

You havn't checked the oil pressure yet?

Sounds like its a main bearing - Was talking with Russ (caboob) and hes had it happen. A main bearing is the only knock that allows an "intermittent" setting between "ok" and "death"

In with the new seals and in with the spare motor!

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Sounds like its a main bearing - Was talking with Russ (caboob) and hes had it happen. A main bearing is the only knock that allows an "intermittent" setting between "ok" and "death"

In with the new seals and in with the spare motor!

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Yes and here's why I think this as well...

When you have a rod knock, there's only ONE bearing supporting the rod so when it starts to knock, it will most likely knock all the time. I HAVE however heard of rod knocks coming and going but it is a very rare case when that happens. The reason why I lean more toward a main bearing is because the crank is being supported by not one but 5 main bearings, so the load created on the crank is evenly distributed. Also main bearings have a history of coming and going vs. a rod bearing which come and kaput, its dead...

Yes and here's why I think this as well...

When you have a rod knock, there's only ONE bearing supporting the rod so when it starts to knock, it will most likely knock all the time. I HAVE however heard of rod knocks coming and going but it is a very rare case when that happens. The reason why I lean more toward a main bearing is because the crank is being supported by not one but 5 main bearings, so the load created on the crank is evenly distributed. Also main bearings have a history of coming and going vs. a rod bearing which come and kaput, its dead...

You mean 3 main bearings?? :)

I'd agree with that, however i'd still check the oil pressure before stripping it - just to make sure your pick up isn't clogged or anything. Dont expect heaps of pressure - bad mains will make it quite low.

You mean 3 main bearings?? :)

I'd agree with that, however i'd still check the oil pressure before stripping it - just to make sure your pick up isn't clogged or anything. Dont expect heaps of pressure - bad mains will make it quite low.

I removed and cleaned the oil pickup about 40 miles ago when I put in the new oil pump, along with re-cleaning any gunk from the pan when I had it off. I guarantee ya its not clogged. An oil PSI guage goes in with the new motor. who needs EA81 parts??? :drunk:

- Erik -