Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last week I posted the question about changing the oil in my 2000 Outaback and it was said that you must remove the skidplate.Well I did the job this past weekend and one of the previous owners has removed the skidplate and never replaced it.How important are they?The car only gets driven on mainly paved roads and never off road.

All the Outback "skid plates" I've seen were mearly splash guards. I'd get another one but wouldnt put much faith in it as a skid plate; should help keep your engine bay clean though. Also helps facilitate a nice bow wave if you ever have to ford some deep water.

All the Outback "skid plates" I've seen were mearly splash guards. I'd get another one but wouldnt put much faith in it as a skid plate; should help keep your engine bay clean though. Also helps facilitate a nice bow wave if you ever have to ford some deep water.

Oh. I forgot they don't have the same ones that the old GL's did. I've actually high centered with those, without too much damage.

Last week I posted the question about changing the oil in my 2000 Outaback and it was said that you must remove the skidplate.Well I did the job this past weekend and one of the previous owners has removed the skidplate and never replaced it.How important are they?The car only gets driven on mainly paved roads and never off road.

The Outbacks don't come with a skid plate per se; that is, there is nothing under the car to protect the engine high centering on rocks, logs, etc. They do come with an under-engine cover that I believe is just there to keep the engine clean (or for aerodynamics, who knows?) The shield has a door that slides out so that you can change the oil without removing the whole thing. (Some idiot mechanic pulled down on mine rather than sliding it out and ripped it so that it won't stay in anymore.) If it's not too expensive, get another one; otherwise I don't think it's a big deal whether it's there or not.