Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru owner with bra question

You have puschased a mighty sexy car. I have an older less sexy Legacy, in which I have just removed the bra. I used it for 2 years. It is a pain in the rump roast when washing the car because to be done right, it should be removed and cleaned when washing. The main problem is that it has destroyed the paint. I am now getting the front end painted and scrapping the bra. If your worried about chips, the custom hood deflector looks decent and protects the hood.

It is a pain in the rump roast when washing the car because to be done right, it should be removed and cleaned when washing. The main problem is that it has destroyed the paint. I am now getting the front end painted and scrapping the bra.

I have heard the same thing about hood bras. I had a hood deflector on my '96 Outback for several years and it wasn't a perfect solution either - it has to be clamped to the hood and there are bumbers that are either stuck to the hood or to the underside of the deflector to prevent it from contacting the paint. I gave up on these things and just let the hood go bare and collect whatever nicks I get. There is a clear film made by 3M that can be applied to the whole front of the car to protect it, but it's kind of expensive.

Yep, a clear bra using the 3M may be the best solution. That way you can still see the beauty of your hood/bumper and don't have to worry about the knicks. Also usually comes with a lifetime warranty if there are any tears or discoloration. It is expensive, but well worth the money. I have one, and several of my friends do also. Just call around your local tint shops, and they should be able to give you a price. I'm thinking anywhere between $150 - $500 depending.

Yep, a clear bra using the 3M may be the best solution. That way you can still see the beauty of your hood/bumper and don't have to worry about the knicks. Also usually comes with a lifetime warranty if there are any tears or discoloration. It is expensive, but well worth the money. I have one, and several of my friends do also. Just call around your local tint shops, and they should be able to give you a price. I'm thinking anywhere between $150 - $500 depending.

It depends on where you live, I have the 3m on my wife's Honda and here in Colorado we get lots of rocks and it has not done that good of a job defending large stones, have several small dents, and on the edges where there is not coverage there are chips.

My old school bra on my Subaru looks better imo and protects much better but it is a bit more work.

my .02