Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tinkering with dash...Check Engine light on

Hey all.

A Quickie,

I've been taking apart my dash to expose my heater core and change it out and in the process had to unhook - rehook some of my electrical wiring under the steering wheel. We couldn't finish the job on Sunday, so we put everything back together except some of the dash buttons, vents etc.

Now after I drive for about 15 minutes the Check Engine light comes on and stays on until I shut off the car...for 5 seconds...and then it doesn't come back on until I drive another 10 minutes, etc. etc...

So I'm wondering if I unhooked an electrical feature, ie water pump etc, that should kick on after I drive for about 15 minutes...:confused:

I don't want to sabotage myself with ignorance.

One Confused Chiefzon.

Check it with a code reader, if you dont have one Auto Zone may still read them free. You problably left one of the wires unplugged, I had my dash out a few weeks back and the air bag light stayed on after I got it back together, I had left one of the connectors partially undone.

Hi. Check out the message board re posting by Deerhunter. That Legacy light bugged us for days. We were finally able to find all of the wires and use the thread to fix the problem.

Hey all.

A Quickie,

I've been taking apart my dash to expose my heater core and change it out and in the process had to unhook - rehook some of my electrical wiring under the steering wheel. We couldn't finish the job on Sunday, so we put everything back together except some of the dash buttons, vents etc.

Now after I drive for about 15 minutes the Check Engine light comes on and stays on until I shut off the car...for 5 seconds...and then it doesn't come back on until I drive another 10 minutes, etc. etc...

So I'm wondering if I unhooked an electrical feature, ie water pump etc, that should kick on after I drive for about 15 minutes...:confused:

I don't want to sabotage myself with ignorance.

One Confused Chiefzon.

If it says Vehicle Speed Sensor, your instrument cluster isn't plugged in.

That was it! While fiddling with my dash console the Speedometer came unplugged from the back causing the CEL to activate.

Moving on, the next easy step is to replace the heater core! haa

Cheers...