Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sticking front brake on 99 legacy wagon

Passenger side front brake not releasing completely causing drag and heat. I'm assuming the caliper needs to be replaced (which i will do) but how can i determine if it might be a blockage in the brake line? Are there any other possible causes?

Take the line off to the caliper, or open the bleeder valve and pump some of the fluid out. You might also want to take the caliper off and clean and grease the slide pins. I think that their is also a valve in or near the master cyclinder that controls the pressue to each wheel, someone here should know for sure on that.

Passenger side front brake not releasing completely causing drag and heat. I'm assuming the caliper needs to be replaced (which i will do) but how can i determine if it might be a blockage in the brake line? Are there any other possible causes?

raybo,

Chances are that you have no line blockage, but rather that a rust buildup has semifrozen the caliper piston in its caliper body. Been there/had that! Before you buy a new caliper, pump the piston slowly out of the caliper, and see if you can't clean up the rust on the piston, and inside the caliper with 0000 fine steel wool. Flush and clean both parts well with brake cleaner, lube everything with fresh brake fluid and push the piston back in. Obviously, if the piston is badly corroded... replace it. Then, bleed the caliper... and all of the rest with fresh brake fluid. You can prevent the same thing happening again if you put fresh brake fluid in the car and flush and bleed the system every 3 years. I did the same work on my wife's 97 Lexus just in the last 6 months and my problems were solved. Good Luck!