1999 outback visor lights

hello everyone

could anyone please help

the visor lights have never worked on this vehicle

unfortunately dont have an electrical print

so checked all the fuses under the dash and hood

also checked the bulbs themselves

all are ok

also for the heater buttons between the seats...

are they suppose to light up when the dash lights come on

or just when the heater is on

joe

hello everyone

joe

The pictogram (seat symbol) lights up when the dash lights are on. There is also an orange indicator light to show when the switch is on. It is common for the bulb to burn out for the pictogram. It is fixable if you are a bit of a DIY'er. Search for "Climate Control Backlight". There are good descriptions in there for replacing the bulb, about half way (or more) thru the thread.

Commuter

hello commuter

thank you for the response

as for the lighted pictorial of the seat

are the visor lights and the light up pictorial on the same line

as i said previously neither work and was wondering if there is a common problem

thanks again

joe

hello everyone

could anyone please help

the visor lights have never worked on this vehicle

unfortunately dont have an electrical print

so checked all the fuses under the dash and hood

also checked the bulbs themselves

all are ok

joe

Check the obvious first, make sure the bulbs are good, The visor lights are always hot so bad switches in the visors. Check to make sure there is power at the bulb socket with the visors down, if not it is prbbly in the visor itself. Thye arent very complicated switches. The may even be servicable.

The heater bulbs bettween the seats come on with the dash lights, and the power lights for them are indepent of the dash lights. The repalcements can be had from radioshack but they have to be wired in carefully. I just did it on my car, but im used to working with small circuits.

nipper

Hello Again!

okay i have replaced the emergency flasher switch bulb which sits in the middle of the dash, also replaced the heater indicator bulbs between the seats, with the radio shack bulbs...work fine!

i have disassembled the visor from the roof, rammed a set of of test probes in the connector to see if there was actually 12 volts to ground.

nothing

could you please help, as to where the power comes from?

A. the dome light works. B.the map lights work.

i thought, since it was constant power, it would come from before the switch of the map lights.

the direction of the wiring seems to be going down the molding followoing the window frame.

But without a print.......no clue

also if it were a "switch" inside the visor.......where would it be?

i checked the pivot arm on the visor itself and felt around the cloth material for some kind of protrusion....no luck

you wouldn't have to destroy the cloth covering to get at it would you?

thanks again for your help

joe

Check the obvious first, make sure the bulbs are good, The visor lights are always hot so bad switches in the visors. Check to make sure there is power at the bulb socket with the visors down, if not it is prbbly in the visor itself. Thye arent very complicated switches. The may even be servicable.

The heater bulbs bettween the seats come on with the dash lights, and the power lights for them are indepent of the dash lights. The repalcements can be had from radioshack but they have to be wired in carefully. I just did it on my car, but im used to working with small circuits.

nipper