Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have replaced the front struts. Now when turning sharp turns in either direction it does some major clunking, knocking noise. At first it seemed to pull in the direction of the turn after straighting out. I removed the left front strut; thinking that its top portion installed correctly, it was. I put it back together and even though it tracks better it still clunks and knocks when making a sharp turn.

Reason for replacement was all struts are worn out.143,000 miles. Driver side front were completely shot. Push down and it doesn't come back up, pass. side not quite as bad. When turning to the right and accelerating had a clunking sound, didn't happen if you coasted through turn.

I am not familir with replacing struts, but I am not a beginner. but that said I have never replaced Macpherson struts. Would worn bearing cause this problem. by the way the rubber seats on top of the spring need replacing, can these be purchased seperately?

Recent purchase (2wks) and first subaru. Have done own work for ever.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I would take a look at all the front end stuff, ball joints, tie rod ends and axles. See if there is any evidence of the boots on the axles being torn or leaking. Also look to see if the boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends are intact.

I'm pretty sure you can purchase the top plate thingy seperately.

Are the stabiliser rubbers those on the top and bottom of the spring. If so they are the originals; and both side top rubbers were worn thru at spring ends. And since I did not have new ones I put the old ones back on. The clunking noise was present when turning to the right before strut replacement. It is not as loud, but it happens when turning sharply in either direction; as in turning into a parking space. I had someone suggest thjat I put some tubing around the coils of the springs. I am not sure about that , but logically it could work.

99 Legacy - Same problem, loud noise when turning at low speed, especially when the suspension is being used(turning into a driveway on a hill). The retard at midas drove it and had no clue what it was. I only went there b/c it was a free analysis. I have had this since 30k and am currently at 69k. I'll check back here in case anyone finds a solution.

My 97 OBW had the clunking front end problems from about 50k miles. Now it just turned over 90K and two days ago I replaced both the front struts along with the new upper mounts. Couldn't discern any problems with the rubber in the upper mounts, but the small bearings that the top of the strut pass through were definitely shot. Very gravely feeling. The driver side strut had a definite dead spot in it where it had virtually no resistance. Long story short......NO MORE LOG WAGON !!! The clunk has vanished! Yeah!! And the steering when sitting still or barely moving is very very smooth. Drives like a Towncar.