Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone installed driving lights? I've got an 05 OBW XT and have seen some great driving lights, but have no idea where they would install ... directly on the bumper or on the grill? If I had one of those cool australian brush guards I could install it on there.

Also, as I have no mechanical/electrical experience, is it difficult to wire these things? Thanks.

Has anyone installed driving lights? I've got an 05 OBW XT and have seen some great driving lights, but have no idea where they would install ... directly on the bumper or on the grill? If I had one of those cool australian brush guards I could install it on there.

Also, as I have no mechanical/electrical experience, is it difficult to wire these things? Thanks.

They're rather easy to install, most even come with instructions. Past experiences tell me to not bother with the el cheapo ones.

But, please, please, please don't use them on the road. You'll have great visibility as the oncoming driver you've blinded with them is careening towards while he struggles to regain his sight. Personally, I think that the lights look assume and have their place on those lonely highways, late at night when there is nothing to light the road but the stars. But around town, I think they should be banned and a large fine associated with their use.

They're rather easy to install, most even come with instructions. Past experiences tell me to not bother with the el cheapo ones.

But, please, please, please don't use them on the road. You'll have great visibility as the oncoming driver you've blinded with them is careening towards while he struggles to regain his sight. Personally, I think that the lights look assume and have their place on those lonely highways, late at night when there is nothing to light the road but the stars. But around town, I think they should be banned and a large fine associated with their use.

I assumed you were talking about using them for daytime running lights, right?

Would that ban and fine also cover driving with your High Beams on? I see so many folks doing that, often because the driver doing it has poor night vision, and wants to be able to see to operate his vehicle.

I thought it was already illegal to drive with your high beams on within 500 feet of oncoming traffic? I don't know of anyone who's gotten pulled over for this, but I always thought you could be.

Would that ban and fine also cover driving with your High Beams on? I see so many folks doing that, often because the driver doing it has poor night vision, and wants to be able to see to operate his vehicle.

Basically, I think that anything that you, the other driver, does that is avoidable that prevents me from seeing you should be against the law. Hear in WA, I'm sure it would never be enforced, but it would do my heart some good to know it was in the books.

If they're for daytime running, they aren't blinding me and putting both or our lives at risk.

No, not for daytime running use, but for use at nighttime on those dark mountain roads. I agree, the lights can be quite blinding and dangerous to others if used when others are oncoming.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had auxilliary driving lights on virtually all my cars over the years including both our current Subarus. They only get used when the road ahead is clear of traffic and I need extra vision as I live in Vermont and travel on mainly rural roads. The set up I now have has large Marchal Charlie driving lights monting atop the front bumber just inside the headlights. They are wired to a seperate circuit and switch that draws it's power, through a relay, from my high beam circuit. This means when switched on they only work with the high beams on and are easily "dipped" by just turning off my high beams, as in no fumbling around trying to hit a second switch.

These are very large lights that throw out a lot of light over a long distance. They have had "Rockblocker" yellow film applied to them to protect the lenses and the yellow tint helps when driving on snow covered roads. I have my wife's OBW set up the same way and it is the ideal way to have extra light that is easily controlled and ONLY used when there is no one coming at you as you will blind them in seconds.

My experience with the smaller high intensity lights has not been good and find that a large lamp with a big reflective area works best. On the plus side you can run relatively low wattage (55W) bulbs and not tax your electrical system. Of the lights I've used Cibie Oscar Plus and these Marchal Charlie (950's) are the best. The smaller Hella 500 series are good but have less coverage.

Glenn

No, not for daytime running use, but for use at nighttime on those dark mountain roads. I agree, the lights can be quite blinding and dangerous to others if used when others are oncoming.

Check your state vehicle code for the requirements as to what is legal. I'm sure it will say something like: Only 4 lights total (which includes headlights), must be between 16 and 42 inches from the ground, and may only be used with the high beams.

I have a set of Hella FF1000s mounted above my bumper between the headlights. I made my own brackets and ran them through the bumper. I have the lights wired to a switch on my dash and they're powered with a relay through the high beams circuit. Pictures:

dsc015524gb.th.jpg dsc015544mn.th.jpg

button3uk.th.jpg dsc015657we.th.jpg

dsc018098ib.th.jpg

I have a setup VERY similar to that of Jamal, FF1000s (with 100w replacment lamps), on similar brackets on the bumper (I have a 98 Leg), wired thru a relay to an arming switch and the high beams. If you have some electrical tools and knowledge, you can even do what I did and modify a stock fog light switch to act as the arming switch (It will not function properly without some modification).

This setup is the best, as it gives you 3 levels of lighting, low, high, and high + driving lights. Also, the fact that they dip with the high beams makes them much more safe for other drivers, as you should be dipping your high beams for oncoming traffic anyway.