Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Folks, I have a 96 legacy wgn with the 2.2l auto awd,and only 75k orig miles.My problem is the car is leaking oil badly underneath.I have seen some postings on the 2.5's needing cam and crank seals. Is this also true with 2.2l's?It is very oily under front cover and all over the bottom back of engine and front end components.any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Folks, I have a 96 legacy wgn with the 2.2l auto awd,and only 75k orig miles.My problem is the car is leaking oil badly underneath.I have seen some postings on the 2.5's needing cam and crank seals. Is this also true with 2.2l's?It is very oily under front cover and all over the bottom back of engine and front end components.any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same issue with 2.2, did you replace the timing belt at 60K?

If not do this plus cam seals, crank seal, and oil pump and you should be leak free!

If not do this plus cam seals, crank seal, and oil pump and you should be leak free!

How do you Know exactly what is the problem? my 1997 legacy, have a very little oil leaks, but the engine don´t have a leaks, and steering pump don´t too.

transmision maybe the problem.

timing belt-oil.... i don´t understand the relation..

What is cam seals and crank seals?

oil pump is defective in this years of legacy?

Sorry for my ignorance... :-\

Hi,Thanks for your help. with the oil pump should I just replace the o-ring or the oil pump itself? Are there 2 cam seals(front & rear) ? I just got this car so I don't know whether the timing belt is original or not.

How do you Know exactly what is the problem? my 1997 legacy, have a very little oil leaks, but the engine don´t have a leaks, and steering pump don´t too.

transmision maybe the problem.

timing belt-oil.... i don´t understand the relation..

What is cam seals and crank seals?

oil pump is defective in this years of legacy?

Sorry for my ignorance... :-\

Subaru 2.2/2.5 motors have some know leaking issues.

Is the leak at the front of the motor?

If so there are three possible culprits for this, cam seals, crank seal, and oil pump seal.

The reason I asked about your timing belt is that you said you have 75k on your car and you need to change you timing belt at 60k. So if you did not have your timing belt changed at 60k you can do it all at once. While you or the shop is in there, they should replace all the seals, water pump, and then be done with it.

Hi,Thanks for your help. with the oil pump should I just replace the o-ring or the oil pump itself? Are there 2 cam seals(front & rear) ? I just got this car so I don't know whether the timing belt is original or not.

There are two cam seals, but the rears usually do not have issues.

Just replace the seal, not reason to replace the pump.

If you have records on the timing belt then also change this since you are in there anyway.

Subaru 2.2/2.5 motors have some know leaking issues.

Is the leak at the front of the motor?

If so there are three possible culprits for this, cam seals, crank seal, and oil pump seal.

Only the 2.2/2.5's leak eh? :-p I think subaru is just reluctant to give up the tradition they established with the EA series...

My 96 outback will not burn a drop for 2000 miles and then all of a sudden lose a quart in 300 miles. Below I can clearly see that oil is leaking thru a gasket on the front passenger's side of the engine. In fact, it splatters all over the filter when it gets bad.

How are your feelings about an oil additive to deal with oil leaks? Something that is supposed to soften up seals and such....

Thanks for any input,

Damien

My 96 outback will not burn a drop for 2000 miles and then all of a sudden lose a quart in 300 miles. Below I can clearly see that oil is leaking thru a gasket on the front passenger's side of the engine. In fact, it splatters all over the filter when it gets bad.

How are your feelings about an oil additive to deal with oil leaks? Something that is supposed to soften up seals and such....

Thanks for any input,

Damien

They are vaporware, i.e. waste of money, just fix the seals.

They are vaporware, i.e. waste of money, just fix the seals.
i have to disagree,valvoline won awards for their high milage oil because of these additives and now everybody has a high milage oil,sometimes they work sometimes not,but it darn sure cant hurt.

One of the easiest leak fix you can do is to simply to replace the valve cover gaskets and rubber washers for the bolts. After doing this, see how the oil leak is and do try to find the source. It'd help to degrease the engine completely then look for the source. In my case, I ended up replacing all O rings and seals up front, timing belt, Tstat and H20 pump. This is a classic case of "while you're in there..."!

I uploaded a pic of the front of the engine exposed to illusrtate my point. Please note that when you're in this deep, replace everything you can! The T belt was removed after being marked and all pulleys lined up. You'll note that the front radiator was removed for easy access to all of this area. The T stat and h20 pump were accessed from under the engine.

This picture is in the photo gallery under my name.

Good luck.

Ali

'95 wagon (sold!)

'92 SVX