Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas Milage, TOD's, and Oil leaks

Could a combination of a probable faulty front crank shaft seal (oil was dripping nicely while the engine was running - user install error - my bad) and a bad hydraulic lifter cause my poor gas milage on Murphy, the 87 T-Wag (@ 19 mpg)?? Just checked both the EGR and PVC valves and they are functioning properly. The O2 sensor was replaced a couple of months ago. I also changed the AT fluid. Though the fluid was only a few months old, it was less than the desired pinkish red color, and it had a little bit of foam while draining.

PS. I decided that I hate that 3spd AT. I am seriously considering changing it out for a 5spd 2/4wd shift, even though it would be a pain in the ars.

PPS. At least now I know where my oil has been going to lately.

Figgured this one could use a bump.

Oh, and tranny changes aint so bad. Go for it. The AT's suck. (opinion)

Don't know about yer miliage. 19's not so good though.

Pyro

Could a combination of a probable faulty front crank shaft seal (oil was dripping nicely while the engine was running - user install error - my bad) and a bad hydraulic lifter cause my poor gas milage on Murphy, the 87 T-Wag (@ 19 mpg)?? Just checked both the EGR and PVC valves and they are functioning properly. The O2 sensor was replaced a couple of months ago. I also changed the AT fluid. Though the fluid was only a few months old, it was less than the desired pinkish red color, and it had a little bit of foam while draining.

PS. I decided that I hate that 3spd AT. I am seriously considering changing it out for a 5spd 2/4wd shift, even though it would be a pain in the ars.

PPS. At least now I know where my oil has been going to lately.

Crappy-crap! I thought / hoped the oil leak was the crank shaft seal, cause it's easy to fix. Well, that's not where the leak is, and I took the thing apart for nothing! But I still don't know where the drip is coming from. Drips when it runs. Stops when it's not. Hungry. Must eat now and maybe that will clear my head.

Well, judging from the drip location, it looks like the oil pump gasket is shot. I wish I would have thought of that earlier. And of coarse no one has one so I'll have to go to the dealer tomorrow to get one. Would having a leaky gasket contribute to the TOD? And isn't there a spring you can stretch on the rocker arm assembly that will help stop the TOD?

replacing the oil pump isn't a bad idea.

not doing that, replace the oil pump gasket (the mickey mouse one) and..this is an EA82 right, also has an o-ring as well and an oil pump seal behind the sprocket on the oil pump. don't neglect replacing any one of these three items.

the ticking can cause bad mileage - if the HLA is stuck it'll certainly decrease the performance of the motor. a compression check will isolate which one is the culprit and if you're showing zero compression, then that could be contributing to your bad gas mileage.

i'd start with just replacing all the oil pump gaskets/seals/o-rings right now, move on from there. i wouldn't personally stretch any springs, but i've never had to do that. go with ATF/MMO after the oil pump reseal.

replacing the oil pump isn't a bad idea.

not doing that, replace the oil pump gasket (the mickey mouse one) and..this is an EA82 right, also has an o-ring as well and an oil pump seal behind the sprocket on the oil pump. don't neglect replacing any one of these three items.

the ticking can cause bad mileage - if the HLA is stuck it'll certainly decrease the performance of the motor. a compression check will isolate which one is the culprit and if you're showing zero compression, then that could be contributing to your bad gas mileage.

i'd start with just replacing all the oil pump gaskets/seals/o-rings right now, move on from there. i wouldn't personally stretch any springs, but i've never had to do that. go with ATF/MMO after the oil pump reseal.

Yea, EA82T. It was supposed to have only about 50,000 mi on it.

Once you get the oil leak fixed, you might notice less TOD, but it probably won't go away. Run one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in it, and run it at high RPMs for a while. That usually gets rid of it.

By the way, even though it's called the Tick Of Death, I've seen Subarus last a long, long time with it. I had a friend who mentioned he had a loud tick in his Subaru, and it had been there for a long time. I told him the same thing as above, and his car was healed.

By the way, even though it's called the Tick Of Death, I've seen Subarus last a long, long time with it.

Yea. I know. I just like way the phrase sounds. I almost don't want fix it so I can keep telling people my car has the dreaded "Tick Of Death"!!! But then it does suck when you're waiting in a drive thu.

I've had the same luck with Marvel's Mystery oil and ATF. ATF wins in my book. (It's cheaper):brow:

Yeah, oil change, with cheap oil, substitute a Quart of oil with 1 qt ATF. Run it fairly high RPMS...like 5 or 6 grand for 5 seconds at a time(Whatever you are comfortable with) I drove my at 6.5k for 10-15 seconds(I was pissed), it went away.

I think I just killed two birds with ont stone. Replace all the oil pump gaskets, and when I filled the oil pan with the proper amount of oil, plus a little MMO, no more leaks and no noticeable TOD. Now to install the passenger side speaker that has been sitting on the flood for 2 1/2 months.