Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unable to find API Sevice SL oil.

Greetings:

I went to a local autopart store and I am unable to find 5W30 API Service SL or SJ - GF3 dino oil as Subaru user's manual recommended. All dino oil bear the SM API service. Is there any correlation between SL and synthetic, since I've seen most of Synthetic oil bear the SL API service. However, based on my research from different Subaru forum, it is not wise to change to synthetic earlier than 9000 miles. The winter in NJ is kinda cold and I am wondering if it is safe to change to Synthetic at 3000 miles service or do I have to live with dino oil until 6000 miles at least.

Any additional suggestion and comment is greatly appreciated.

SL is now an outdated oil rating. SM is the new one, and it meets the SL standards plus some additional ones. The oil rating system is divided into S for spark ignition and C for compression ignition, with the second letter indicating how "good" the oil is. The farther along in the alphabet, the better the oil is. BTW, the latest Mobil1 oil is rated SM.

I don't think it really matters whether you switch to synthetic at 3k, 6k, or 9k. By 3k, the engine SHOULD be fully broken in, but if you want to make sure, it won't hurt anything to wait a bit longer.

Woops. Sorry about that. There's a bunch of different terms that get used for the S and C, and I had heard Spark and Compression the most often so I guess I assumed that's what it was.

Anyway, use the SM oil in your car.

The "spark" and "compression" terms are almost universally (mis)used, your hardly the first. (I'd use smileys here, but I just got a different 'puter and now the durn things don't show up in the box to the right anymore. If anybody knows how to get them back, I'd appreciate the info.)

Spark and Compression are good ways to remember which oil, Service or Commercial, is rated for use in your engine. Many oils carry both ratings.

SM spec oils rolled out some time this year. SL oils on the shelf are a sign of slow-moving oils, such as synthetics. For brands and viscosities that move quickly, you might still be able to find the old SL grade oil at the back of the shelf, if they don't rotate their stock.

But there's no need for SL oil. SM supercedes SL, as Snowman pointed out.