Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Stiff Clutch Question

I recently purchased an 87 DL Wagon. I have been spending weekends doing all the little things to it. Car is running great. My problem is the clutch seems to be getting stiffer and stiffer. The clutch cable is brand new. I have searched and read everything I can find on here regarding this problem. I am fairly sure it is the clutch fork itself. If I unhook the clutch cable I cannot even begin to push the clutch fork by hand. Is there a way to grease this without getting into major work?

Also how difficult is it to remove the helper spring on the clutch pedal assembly and is this a wise thing to do.

Thats not how you measure it. You have just removed all the mechanical advantge designed into the system. Someplace out there somone wil have the factory manul, and it will sepcify the amount of force required at the pedal to depress the clutch. It could be your clucth is nearing the end of its life, as some clutch pressure plates tend to give more force on the disc ans the disc end its service life.

nipper

I've never been able to push the clutch fork by hand, even on perfectly good cars. It's actually the pressure plate fingers that you are pushing against here, so if that is it, replacing the pressure plate is what you'd have to do. Unless somehow it is REALLY binding up. The pressure plate fingers are so strong compared to even some really gluey grease that I have a hard time imagining this.

I had a '87 GL that had a really stiff clutch. I tried lubricating the clutch cable to no effect, and it just seemed to get worse. It seemed to slide fine when not attached to the release fork. I put a new cable on there, not expecting it to actually do anything, and it completely fixed it.

Some people have also said stuff about proper routing of the clutch cable -- I can only find one logical way to route it, but I guess if you had it wrong somehow, it could bind up.

mine was really stiff as well for as long as i owned the car and i got it with a new clutch in it. clutch cable broke after 20,000 + miles, so be prepared for that. the additional force you're using will prematurely break the cable. i'd learn how to drive without the clutch pedal (a tricky but possible ordeal) and have a spare cable in the trunk. that's my solution as the clutch works great otherwise. i installed a new cable and it's still just as tight.

i may try to install another cable to make sure it's not twisted or compromised in some way since they are cheap and not hard to replace someday if i get bored. but i don't expect much. i think i'm going to rig a spring on the clutch fork as an "assisting" mechanism, maybe take some strain off the cable.

mine was really stiff as well for as long as i owned the car and i got it with a new clutch in it. clutch cable broke after 20,000 + miles, so be prepared for that. the additional force you're using will prematurely break the cable. i'd learn how to drive without the clutch pedal (a tricky but possible ordeal) and have a spare cable in the trunk. that's my solution as the clutch works great otherwise. i installed a new cable and it's still just as tight.

i may try to install another cable to make sure it's not twisted or compromised in some way since they are cheap and not hard to replace someday if i get bored. but i don't expect much. i think i'm going to rig a spring on the clutch fork as an "assisting" mechanism, maybe take some strain off the cable.

Dont place a spring on the clutch. It takes surprisingly little force on the clutch to have it act like you "riding" the clutch, and you will wipe out your clutch quickly. The helper springs that come from the factory are there to ( i thnk) take up any slakc and keep things from rattling..

JUst go with a facotry clucth set, replace the clip(s) on the fork, get a new throw out bearing and pilot bushing, and a new cable. That should take care of it.

For what its worth i always thought my 1988 GL d/r had a heavy clutch. I think its just the car.

nipper

ha ha, throw out and pilot bearings! i already have them, but im' not yanking the motor/trans to do that. i hate clutch work (reason i'm selling all my manual XT6's). the first one (probably original) lasted 140,000 miles, with at least 20,000 of the clutch being hard to press (that's how long i owned it). reminds me, i need to order that spare, driving without a clutch, while fun and challenging, only needs to be done as little as possible!

i'll post here if i find anything out on mine down the road....

thanks for the heads up on the spring being a bad idea.