Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Waterpump leaking (questions)

So my waterpump is leaking some coolant. It might have been doing this for a long time, because it seems every few months i've been putting some coolant in the reserve tank...but I havn't added any since January. I park in gravel whereever I go (work, my house, my parents, etc) so i'd really have no way to know it was leaking.

Anyways, I was on my way to work, it started to overheat (got to about 3/4 on the temp. gauge) I added water and it didn't happen again. I got home, looked around, and its leaking from the waterpump area.

I made an apointment at the dealer for new timing belt, waterpump, seals, etc.

My questions are:

-How much leaks out from the waterpump? Enough to stop driving the car competley? I took it for a drive and it didn't overheat when I keep coolant in the reserve tank.

-As long as I have coolant with me in the car and pull over at the first sign that its getting to warm, could I drive it?

-Would the coolant leaking get on the timing belt and cause it any problems?

Thanks for any input. I would only need to drive it to work a few times when my wife needs her car.

Thanks again.

PS. 1996 Outback, EJ22

Your most likely leaking out of the weep-hole. This means the seal is shot and only a matter of time before the bearing itself fails, then out have a three peice water pump under the hood.... very messy.You can drive it, just keep an eye on things. The way the waterpump weep hole is set up, it doesnt sling water on anything.

I would get it fixed as soon as you can though, these things have a habbit of demanding attention at the most inoportune times.

nipper

Probably not good advice, but I know what it is like to have only 1 car. I would drive it, as little as I could though.

Keep an eye on the temp. and your coolant levels. It is very,very possible that the waterpump could completely fail soon and without much notice. Then that would probably mean a tow to the dealership. Like many other people have said, heat can kill an engine.

Hope you make it!