Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm going to look at 92 wagon today, sounds like a good rig but the seller (a good friend) said mice or some other vermin set up house keeping in the heater and it stinks. How complicated is it to clean out the heater ducts?

I will try to track down a manuel but in the mean time I wanted to give you fine folks a swag at it.

Willy

hehehehe :lol:

I got to do this in my 85 twagon that sat for at least 6 years before I got it.

In retrospect, it really wasn't that tough. I found it much easier to just pull the entire dash, then you have easy access to the heater core/AC box, etc. Just seemed like a lot of work at the time. At times it also helps to have another set of arms when you get to removing the dash.

In my case they had a nest in the heater core box, so no amount of spraying stuff down the vents would have helped.

The real issue is what is causing it to stink?

If it's dead mice, be careful! I'd try and locate the source and then deal with the cleanup.

Mice probably entered in the bottom of the center console and then died.

Try pulling some of the bottom plastic off the heater in the foot area and see what you can find???

Don't breathe that crap! Bleach should disinfect it.

Good Luck,

Glenn

several vehicles with mice in them...

I too had to do this to my '85 carbed wagon, the nest was in the blower. I moved the resistor block, took out the three bolts that hold the blower in, and dropped the entire contents of a mice nest out of the system, it was mostly chewed up insulation from the rest of the car. I then put it back in, but not tight, turned on the blower, and sprayed lysol right onto the fan, which effectively forced it all through the system. then followed it with the febreze and didn't notice the smell until just before I junked the car a year later. Same treatment again probably would've done it...