Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What happens when the timing belt in a 2.5 snaps

So. I've found a really nice looking '98 legacy outback wagon for sale. For $1,000. In the ad, the owner said it needs a new engine, for $3 - $4k. My first thought was that the head gaskets went out on it, and I can fix that pretty easily. But then I thought -- what if he snapped the timing belt on it. What would that have broken? Probably enough to make it cheaper to get a used engine than rebuilding it? We'll see if he calls me back with more info on why it died. No matter what, I still think it would be well worth it even if I have to throw a used engine in, but just wondering what happens in an intereference engine when the belt goes.

Zeke

The big question is how much abuse the car took before the engine went. If the owner kept up maintainence and drove the car in a normal fashion that's would be a consideration. If they ingnored the car and flogged it all the time, you maybe looking at other considerable costs down the road.

Any idea how many miles on the car now?

friend of mine just fixed a 2.5 that snapped a belt. only needed to replace a couple valves and all was good. basically a valve job, basic head work, only had to purchase a couple valves. not a big deal at all. everything else looked fine.

dealer in Hanover, PA told me they rarely see catastrophic damage in the broken timing belts they have in the shop. i don't recall if they were talking 2.2 or 2.5 though. they even told me that just as often as there is damage there is also no damage. i don't consider that reliable since i don't know them and i do all the work on my car so i've never dealt with the shop. but their parts guys have always been great to work with. though i heard the experienced guys left in the past couple weeks and it's all newbies now. don't know why they'd lie to me, i specifically asked them about the 2.2 and 2.5 liter interference motors.

So. I've found a really nice looking '98 legacy outback wagon for sale. For $1,000. In the ad, the owner said it needs a new engine, for $3 - $4k. My first thought was that the head gaskets went out on it, and I can fix that pretty easily. But then I thought -- what if he snapped the timing belt on it. What would that have broken? Probably enough to make it cheaper to get a used engine than rebuilding it? We'll see if he calls me back with more info on why it died. No matter what, I still think it would be well worth it even if I have to throw a used engine in, but just wondering what happens in an intereference engine when the belt goes.

Zeke

Did you buy this car?

I saw this car on craigslist and have been emailing this person since tue, they just got back to me today to say it is sold!!

Would have been a smoking deal!!

Did you buy this car?

I saw this car on craigslist and have been emailing this person since tue, they just got back to me today to say it is sold!!

Would have been a smoking deal!!

Same here -- already sold. Wonder who got it. I was pretty excited about getting a '98 outback for only twice as much as I paid for my old GL wagon. Even if it did need a new engine. Oh well.

I'd look for a '95 EJ22 and swap that in there... check out here. I picked up a '97 OBW back in August that had previously had a 2.5L blowing steam in it. One of the conditions of me picking it up was that the dealer swap the engine in it (his decision, soon as he heard I was interested in the car). The car continued having overheating problems (possible clogged radiator, possible bad headgaskets), and I toasted the engine.

I got lucky with my choice of dealers, since he was good on his word to cover it under his verbal extension of the warranty. It's spent the last month or so down at his garage while he looked for a replacement engine... supposedly the best he's found is an EJ25 with 160k miles for $2,200, which includes replacing the headgaskets and machining the heads down by default.

Instead, I talked to him about putting 2.2L in it instead... he called some other mechanic who confirmed the feasibility of the swap, then vented about the quality of the 2.5L, and agreed to swap out the 2.5L for the 2.2L.