Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone..thanks for taking the time to read this..

I have a 93 subaru legacy...Been real good to me..a little expensive at times...but I still love it..And now I am having more problems...

My steering wheel doesnt feel right...Turning the wheel is weird...When I take a turn, as I turn the wheel, there is unusual resistance and the steering seems "floppy" (if that makes any sense)

also, I notice when pulling out of a parking space..or pulling into one...I can turn my wheel either way and basically let go of the wheel and the car will not straighten out without me helping the steering wheel back...(as long as Im going less than 3mph or less...and from time to time, if i have my wheels are turned all the way and start to back out of a parking space it seem like my cars front end "shifts" slightly...

i hope this makes sense to someone...

thanks for any help!

Chris

ok not to pick on you .... but its getting annoying when people dont post the milage on thier cars when they ask for help.

How are the front tires wearing.

You have a few things there that can cause this issue, either ball joints or tie rod ends. If you have a lot of milage on the car get them all done and be done with it.

Tie rod ends will have the "floppiness" that you feel. Ball joints will keep the car from tracking straight.

Jack the front of the car off the ground. Have a freind grab the tires at the 9-3 oclock position and have him wiggle the tire.

The tie rod end should have zero play in it ( the tie rod end is what is attached to the steering rack, and nothing else attached to the front wheel looks like it).

The ball joint is attached to the lower control arm. You can try to wiggle the tire at the bottom with your hands, but the better way is using a pipe or 2x4 under the tire and have somone pull up on it while watching the ball joint. The ball joint should follow with zero play in it.

If all these chaeck out, go back and wiggle the tire again, if its the wheel bearings, the tire will wiggle around its axis. It is possible it can be sway bar or control arm bushings, but these tests will also show a bad lower control arm bushing, as that is where the play will show up. Sway bar bushings will be obvious to the eye.

nipper