Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny swap

gonna be gettin an 86 turbo wagon with dual range and i have an 87 rx full time with center diff lock. any input on what all i need to swap over for the diff lock to work? i know there's that little box of four things on the drivers side of the firewall, anything else?

Andrew

alright got the car yesterday and its a 4wd push button. just thinking that the push button uses the same system as the center locking diff to work, would it make sense to rewire the diff lock switch inplace of the pushbutton? and why would i have to swap out the axles, its a turbo as well. same spline count isn't it...

Andrew

not the shift linkage, just the button thats on top of the shifter and rewire it to be my difflock switch. i'll swap the entire tranny as well as rear end since i've got the lsd from the rx. but am i wrong in thinking that this button essentially does the same type of job that the difflock switch does? push it, its engaged and a completed circuit. release it its disengaged and not a completed circuit. same thing with the difflock switch. engaged and disengaged

Andrew

not the shift linkage, just the button thats on top of the shifter and rewire it to be my difflock switch. i'll swap the entire tranny as well as rear end since i've got the lsd from the rx. but am i wrong in thinking that this button essentially does the same type of job that the difflock switch does? push it, its engaged and a completed circuit. release it its disengaged and not a completed circuit. same thing with the difflock switch. engaged and disengaged

Andrew

Umm... Someone correct me if I am wrong, but your shifters will transfer when you swap the tranny and you would want the console too to make the car look pretty so you will be taking the switch with you. And the pushbutton 4wd will be leaving when you take that tranny out.

So you will be using your diff lock switch from the rx

just to clarify, yes i'm swapping the entire tranny which means the shift linkage as well. my main question is can i use all the wiring and vaccuum hoses that used to control the pushbutton 4wd, and use the same vaccuum hoses and just rewire the button that was on top of the pushbutton 4wd for my center lock diff.

Andrew

Subaru_styles and I were just talking about this. He's gunna use the 4wd Pushbutton to engage his diff lock on his RX Wagon. It's a GL with an RX trans and diff. He said something about the button's wiring harness being the same as his diff lock's. Maybe you PM him. (Subaru_styles His name is Brad).

I understand what you mean. Everyone was over thinking it. The Diff lock switch isn't anything special but a switch. It completes a circuit and tells the system to lock the diff (which uses vacuum selenoids). But yes, the 4wd pushbutton is a on/off switch. It will work, but I'd ask Brad.