Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

More engine swap woes, apparently my engine i swapped in has a MAF. it has a plug on the left side of the engine that i couldnt figure out until i hooked up a MAF,,,but the ECU i have has no Signal for a MAF so i think i need to find the right ECU for the engine.

Is there any way i could easily verify exactly what the engine is from so i could match the ECU to it and rewire???

Any suggestions and ideas of when subaru went from a MAF system to a MAP system and if it was across the board?

Cory

I don't think you can swap map to maf, unless you swap all the sensors, wiring and computer. if the donor engine is complete enough, you should be able to tell, map engines did not have maf's and they had the big box air filter behind the engine, the maf's had the filter before the MAF, near the fender on the passenger side.

Yeah thats what i thought...but the connectors for the MAF and other parts, are on the engine harness, they are NOT part of the BulkHead harness like my other one is...so this means it ties right into the engine wiring going to the ECU...so it seems the easiest way is to find a MAF ECU...what do you think

COry

I guess I'm confused as to what you're doing?

The car that you are swapping the engine into, is it MAF or MAP based? Does it have all the wiring and associated parts with it?

The engine you have, is it MAF or MAP based? It shouldn't matter....just swap over all the sensors and that jazz from your old engine.

Well here is the deal...old car 97 impreza engine and ECU are gone and out.

New engine 2000? 2.5 litre SOHC w/ ECU ( i think its the wrong one cuz when i was splicing it into the existing harness there were no pins on the ECU for the MAF........yet on the engine harness there is a place for a maf???

Cory

Its really odd the engine connectors Mate up to the ECU wiring with no problem its just the ECU if for a MAP system and as far as i can tell the engine is MAF because there is no AirAssist Solenoid Valve and there is a connector for a MAF...anyone know of any way to tell exactly what the engine came from and what year??

Thanks

Cory