Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing Speedo Gears?

This might be a stupid question - but I am asking it anyways.

My EA82 Full Time 4WD Box is coming apart soon - and I was wondering is it possible to change the speedo gear to match my large tyres?

Does anyone know if I could get a speedo gear to fit that would be from a 4.44 gearbox? And is a speedo gear hard to change in one of these once the box is apart? Would this be even "do-able"??

hey ya i kinda wanna know that too... everybody here just seems to throw accurate guages to the wind and just do the "i'd say 50-ish...":-p

not many people take apart there trans... so hmmm... my question would be what might fit? would you need a smaller gear or a bigger gear? my guess is smaller...

(and i haven't gotten to that rx yet... don't worry i haven't forgotten about your guage!)

Yes I am the same zefy - I am sick of doing maths everytime i drive :)

I plan to pull my gearbox apart to put in 1.592 low gears into it.

Just was hoping I could kill two birds with one stone.

A Full Time box would have a gear suitable for 3.7 - I think a 4.44 speedo gear would be good for larger tyres (assuming it would fit!)? Maybe my thinking is wrong..

same here...i'll be going with larger tires and would like to compensate. i've read before about "boxes" that can adjust the ratio somehow. so you plug your speedo cable (that would normally come from the trans and go to the speedo) into this box....then it has an output (the ratior you want) and a cable from the output of the box to the actual speedometer in the instrument cluster.

seems the lifted rig truck/jeep guys should know how to do this...i can't imagine it's always internal since they adjust tire sizes frequently...gotta be an easier solution.

found some stuff on the internet regarding what you're talking about, changing the speedo gears and it appears doable with minor tools and the trans in the car for some vehicles. some manufacturers even supply the replacement gears and have part numbers and all associated with different setups.

but i did find this as well, which is kind of what i'd like, though i don't know how legit this is. but something easily adjustable would be nice:

http://www.dragonaero.com/SpeedChan...hanicalPage.htm

EDIT - AH!!!!! you're right $130-$150. wow. guess i'll keep calculating.

you're probably right...way expensive.

but i think for what you want, just swap in the right size gear. saw some calculating stuff on the internet. wonder if any other makes would swap those little nylon gears to get the ratio you want..unless you know for sure which one you need and can get it from subaru?

Yes those are good ideas - but I was hoping to have it fixed whilst this box is out and open. My main problem is the odometer - I have to use this at times - the only way to get this right is the "speedo gearbox" mentioned before.. or a different gear.

I know people have had the boxes apart before, and I beleive the problem is that, just like putting 4.44 gears in an L-series tranny case, the mesh isn't right, the newer, EJ-series AWD boxes have a different front diff mesh than the L-series ones, and the same goes for the speedo gear.

fyi, it would need to be a smaller speedo gear, to speed up the cable/gauge

This is just some an idea i had... but what if you make your own speedo gear box?

I was thinking maybe getting an old speedo cluster(or 2), taking it appart, then have the cable from the trans going up into your "custom" gear box, then using off the shelf gears(from something i dunno) then perhaps making a super short cable that'll go into your guage...

just a thought... and it doesn't need to be behind the dash either... (thats where i'm ussuming these things go)

you could have it down near the trans and run the normal stock cable... and having your "gear box" down on the trans...

obviously my idea is a rough one... but i don't think it would be to hard to make if you have the fab skills and the time...

yea, you could probably make a little gearbox of somesort...problem is, it would probably take some trial and error to get the gears just right, and with each new gear set, the box will have to be modified as the input/output shafts will probably have to be relocated...

I don't want to discourage you...I think it's awesome!! but just make sure that if/when you/somebody does it....they document it VERY well!!!