Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 5spd shifter bushing sizes and prices

I have an oem parts list of my 5 spd shift system (2wd) and there are a bunch of bushings I would like to replace. Unfortunately, the dealer wants over $100 for 10 nylon bushings. Do you have any idea where I can get the dimensions of the bushings for a 1987 gl 5spd 2wd before I tear my only transportation apart or where I can get the bushings at a reasonable price? thanks much

Think I'll yank it apart during xmas and see which ones are really bad and either replace those or aftermarket the fix with bolts and other generic nylon 'T' bushings......

Hello,

I did this exact repair two years ago but...I took 2 '87 5 speed fwd shifters, used the best parts from each.

The lower end of the main shift rod, the bushing shot in both. Gathered up a suitible bolt in the shop: about one half to five eights diameter by about four inches long. Removed the rubber bushing and slieve from the old shift tube (rod?), With anti-seize, inserted the new bolt in it's place. Good fit, but don't quote me on the size. Double nut for a lock, good to go. I have another I'll be doing the same way. Use the spring that is factory down there.

Doug