Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's all my coolant going??

or more specifically...where's it coming from, I know where it's going: all over the ground under my wagon :banghead:

it appears to be coming out somewhere just ABOVE the water pump, what could it be? I was thinking it might be the weep hole on the top of the water pump...but I can't tell...I don't know enough about where the coolant goes inside the engine to know where it could be leaking from

tomorrow, I'm going to swap on this OEM new subaru water pump instead of that NAPA reman'd one (live and learn, huh?) with just a few thousand miles on it...

any ideas? anyone have something like this happen??

I'm afraid it's an intake manifold gasket or something...but I just can't tell.

tomorrow, I'm going to swap on this OEM new subaru water pump instead of that NAPA reman'd one (live and learn, huh?) with just a few thousand miles on it...

QUOTE]

I've got my water pump from Kragen (chekers?) and got a life time warranty.

Unless I'm mistaken....coolant flow should be:

Pump gets water from lower radiator hose and the heater core return line, through the block to the water outlet and out to the heater core. There is also flow through the by-pass hose from the block to outlet and to the base of the carb. If you look at the hoses coming off the firewall from the heater core, one will attach to a pipe that runs over the block and is connected to the top of the water pump, this is the heater outlet. On this pipe is a small nipple that supplies water to the base of the carb. The other hose connects to a pipe that runs parallel to the manifold, this is your heater inlet hose. The by-pass runs from a nipple located near the center of the block, under the manifold and behind the disty. It runs to a nipple on the water outlet (where the thermostat is located). I'd suspect that either....... one of these little hoses has decided to leak.... or that the pipe has corroded through and is leaking. The by-pass hose is fairly easy to replace.....however, the other one (going to the base of the carb) isn't so easy because of where the nipple sits under the manifold. If the pipe itself is leaking, it would probably be easier to pull the manifold than to try and wiggle it out.

One other thought.....when you replaced the water pump, you may have damaged the hose that runs from the pipe to the the top of the pump when you disconnected it.....

In the last month, I've had the by-pass fail....twice. I replaced my pipe with one that was less corroded when I had the manifold off. I also had to replace the water pump a couple weeks ago...... $39 autozone, lifetime replacement.

Good luck...

I just replaced a small hose yesterday that goes from the side of the thermostat housing to the block. The leak wasn't visible at idle, but when I gave it some throttle, the water sprayed out of the bottom of the hose onto the top of the block. If you had a big enough leak in that hose, it could run off the top of the block and look like it's coming from the block itself.

I don't know if that's much help, but it's something to check.

if its the hose from hell, youll probably have a small puddle of coolant laying on top of the pass side of the block. it likes to pool in a small cranny near the EA82 stamping.

when you noticed it leaking, was the engine running or not?

check the O-ring on the pipe that goes into the top left of the water pump. i had a leak there and replacing that O-ring fixed it. the pipe is connected to the lower radiator hose (on the drivers side). its got one bolt that holds it in place and it slides into the water pump. if the o-ring is deteriorated and gets disturbed it will leak---all i did to get the leak started was changing the hoses. the movement of doing that was enough to break the seal on the o-ring.

If it was like mine (and it sounds like it was), it's that little rump roast hose that a few above have desribed. 5/16" fuel line hose will fix it. Make sure you get a pre-bent fuel line hose if possible, you dont want it kinking...

I don't know what it is about these hoses, but they must be the weakest hoses ever made !!, replace everyone if you can.

OK, some great info here!! I'll have to print this out and take it to my girlfriends house (here dad's got a sweet garage...though any garage would be better than outside) to work on it in a bit.

couple things...this looks like it's more on the driver side, like right under the A/C compressor.

It's SPFI, so NVBigBlue, I assume that line you referred to that goes to the carb, also goes to the throttle body

I noticed it when running...oh boy did I...I was trying to drive back up here to duluth from my parents place (healty 3 hour drive), got about half way into it, when I noticed the temp gauge creeping up, so I stopped, looked under the car, and there was coolant everywhere, that's when I looked at the motor, well, I filled up evey pop bottle, and one milk jug, I could find in the car with water filled 'er up, and took off down the road, stopping again when the temp got too high again.

whatever it is, it's a big leak, cause I had to drive it to school (~5 miles) the other day, and it got real hot, and no heat....and I can open the rad cap with it that hot, and I don't even get steam, I don't think there's anything at all.

I just replaced that stupid O-ring right on the water pump about a month ago, so I don't think it's that.

Thanks for all the great ideas! keep 'em coming if you've got 'em!

OK, well, in accordance to our new sticky....lol...I'm following up!

I decided to pull the A/C compressor off (I've been meaning to remove it for awhile), and see if I could see the culprit. When I did, I immediately noticed a big split in the hose going from the water pump back towards the heater core. So I was pretty close, it looked like it was coming from above the pump, but I figured it was the top weep hole, and the stupid thing was failing.

anyway, I got that replaced, got some coolant in it, and it's staying, for the most part. My dad's bringing me a 'new' (from the parts car, where else?) radiator to fix this problem.

Note to guys with lifted rigs: Don't run your clutch fan!!! It could eat your radiator, and possibly the wiring immediately under it!!!!

Um this may be a dumb question but how does having a lifted rig affect the radiator and the clutch fan? Just curious.

perfectly acceptable question...

with a lift, there are blocks that drop the engine crossmember down in relation to the body. Next time you're working on your sub, imagine if your mechanical fan was dropped straight down ~3".....(might be different on EA81's, but I don't think so...you'll get the idea at least) comes a bit close to that lower radiator support doesn't it?

look in my picture, see how low the fan is on the radiator? That's what caused that, one of the blades caught something, and bent it over.