Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone Know how to fix this? [PROB-SOLVED]

We just picked up an 1989 GL from my sisternlaw. Its having issues during starting. When it does finally turn over it runs great and everything seems to work just fine. The issue is getting the engine to turn over. I can hear what sounds like the selniod kicking in when the key is turned. But in order to get the starter to work you have to turn it just enough (but not all the way) to make the starter get power. I have rocked the key several times and it just takes forever.

What and how do I check to see what the problem is?

How do I removed the Starter? Looked like the bolts are inside the bellhousing which means I have to pull the engine?

UPDATE*******************UPDATE****************UPDATE

Was the starter seleniod. I removed the starter and opened it up. The main power terminal (L shaped) into the seleniod was worn down to almost nothing. I pulled both sides and installed the better of the two onto the positive cable side. Then I took the bad one and flipped it and cut a notch for the bolt to fit and then trimmed the other end. Bolted it in... tested good... placed back into the soobie.... starts every time now. My brother-n-law is bringing down a new starter in a few weeks... this one should work until then...

Also he might be giving us an 1992 Justy awd w/5speed and another justy engine with parts. :grin:

From your description, it sounds like your ignition switch is the issue, making contact for the starter just at a certain point.

Otherwise, their are lots of issues involving making sure the starter's cable conections are good, particularly the ground connections. These need to be clean and tight; don't assume they are, kjust go ahead and clean them.

The starter is easy to remove, with 1 through-bolt and nut going through the engine flange and transmission bellhousing, and a stud and nut that attaches to the tranny bellhousing.

check the following:

battery terminals have to be CLEAN and TIGHT. check both, make sure they are indeed clean and you should not be able to move, remove or rotate them around the terminal posts by hand.

another easy check is to run a good ground wire from the negative terminal to a ground, on the XT6 the one by the oil cap has been a problem area for me. not sure where your grounding points are. i've actually used jumper cables to start the car before this way....only need one half of the jumper cables...so a jumper cable. clip one end on the negative terminals and then clip the other end onto the suspected bad ground.

give the starter 12 volts and see if it will turn over, this will verify if the starter is good or not. starter is easy to remove, definitely no need to pull the motor, just a couple bolts to get it out. a little tight, but one of the easier jobs. it doesn't sound like your starter is the issue though.

and of course the ignition could be the problem.

check these three items out and i believe you'll find your problems.

Sounds like mine, my problem was that the contacts in the solenoid were worn. On an EA82, the solenoid is built into the starter. Your friendly neighborhood Subaru dealer/parts store will probably tell you it's not servicable. It is, easily and can be fixed for probably <$10.

Remove the starter (not hard to do, no hidden gotchas)

There's a squarish looking bulge on the side that the cables connect to, that's the solenoid.

Remove the cover plate at the end of the solenoid. What you will see is a plunger which will more or less fall out by itself, remove it. I think there's a small spring as well, remove it as well.

What you should see are two L-shaped copper contacts. One is connected to the motor armature, the other connects to the + cable from the battery. The click you hear when you turn the key is the plunger snapping down against these contacts. You turn the key which energizes the solenoid, plunger moves, and the copper ring on the plunger connects the two contacts, completes the circuit and the motor spins.

After a while these contacts wear and all you get when you turn the key is "click". It will work intermittently for a while, but eventually will wear enough that they don't make contact and the motor will not turn over.

Replace the contacts and you should be good to go. This is a very common problem on Toyota pickups, and the Subaru starter uses the same contacts as a 22R/22RE. Anyone who is familiar with Toyotas will know what you're looking for.

It's about a 45 min. job including removing and reinstalling the starter.:banana:

Ok... I have a list on things to check... its Sunday.... Im going to go thru the list and see if it I can get this thing fixed.... Thanks... I willl post if the problem is fixed and what was broken.... or will come back with other Q's.

So what fixed the problem?

I did an update above in the original post. I think I explained it ok.. if not ask me to clarify... dont have pics... maybe I should have taken some... then again when the new starter comes in I will show what I did as a temp. patch.

Did you guys see where I might also be getting a free 1992 Justy with a great body and interior? :)