Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket for 97' Outback

It's looking like I have a leaky head gasket. My Sube overheated on my way back from the mountain 2 weeks ago. It was fine, until I went to the mountain again this weekend. I thought it was the thermostat, but I replaced and flushed the coolant. It was oily and acrid smelling. This seems to point to a leaky head gasket. I called a local shop and they want $2300 to replace this and the clutch (which they recommend). Any ideas on what it should cost ? Also, does anyone know of a good shop in Portland, Oregon? Any information would be appreciated.

Welcome to the USMB, sorry your first post had to be bad news :(

That price seems high, that's more of a dealer price for that.

Do a search on "PDX shops" or "Portland shops", there's a guy that sometimes visits here named "richierich" IIRC, he has a shop in town and is highly recommended.

For HG info, there's a few links here:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html

Look at "theotherskips" page, lots of good info if you decide to DIY as some people have done.

Good luck!

Steve

it sounds like they want to me they want to pull the engine, possibly reseal the engine and replace the clutch cam seals main seals timing belts cylinder head water pump and oil pump seals timing belts?

or am i wrong.

if they are doing all that, they are high but bot that high

nipper

I didn't hear them list new timing belt, just new seals, new clutch and head gasket work. The car has 70,000 miles. Is all of that really necessary? I don't want to neglect work that is strongly recommended, but can't shell out $2300

I didn't hear them list new timing belt, just new seals, new clutch and head gasket work. The car has 70,000 miles. Is all of that really necessary? I don't want to neglect work that is strongly recommended, but can't shell out $2300

70K should be early for the timing belt and the clutch, BUT my clutch went out at about 70K on my 97 OBW.

And if you've got the engine torn down, replace the crank front and rear seal, cam seals, oil pump o-ring (on the crank shaft also), sealant on the back of the oil pump, and the timing belt.

Some also replace the oil pump and water pump while the timing belt is off!!

oh - and maybe the belt tensioner.

None of that should add much to the labor cost, only parts. And the labor would be the same later to replace any or all of that...

If you're replacing the clutch, have the flywheel machined, or replaced too.

I don't deal with service shops, so I don't know how much all that would cost.

(I'm stupid enough to try all that myself :) )

It's looking like I have a leaky head gasket. My Sube overheated on my way back from the mountain 2 weeks ago. It was fine, until I went to the mountain again this weekend. I thought it was the thermostat, but I replaced and flushed the coolant. It was oily and acrid smelling. This seems to point to a leaky head gasket. I called a local shop and they want $2300 to replace this and the clutch (which they recommend). Any ideas on what it should cost ? Also, does anyone know of a good shop in Portland, Oregon? Any information would be appreciated.

There used to be Dan's Subaru near gi joes in Tualatin. They were good but not the cheapest... & a place in SE called Metro Metric.

Out here, Central Oregon... a HG job is more like $750 - $900 Just make sure NO air is left in the cooling system.

Later,

Peter

2,300 is high for head gaskets and clutch.

depends how much you drive....at 70,000 and with overheating i'd go ahead and replace everything myself. if you drive 20,000 a year, by next year you'll be close to needing a timing belt and paying another 600 or more to do it again. they quoted my cousin $699 just to replace the timing belt and water pump...no oil pump, cam seal, pulley replacement. i did it for her for cost of parts and replaced everything, came out much much cheaper.

anyway....like i said, depends on how much you drive and how long you want to put off your next visit. they MUST remove the timing belt to touch the heads, i'd rather them just put a new one in. they will be installing a belt, it's just a matter of it being the old one or a new one. i think the belt is only $59 or $79. pay that now to avoid a $500-$700 hit in a year or two sounds like a good idea to me. they should check the pulley's and let you know which ones are free spinning or noisey (in other words - bad).

good luck

My 98 Outback is currently in the shop (Subaru Dealer) as I write this. I had the same "classic" blown head gasket at 100,000 miles. Couldn't believe how much of an epidemic this is for this car! I am getting pretty much the same work you are getting done to your car. My price tag came at $1,700 with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty which is good piece of mind since you never know what else could go after this. I could've got it done at an independent garage for cheaper but they won't guarantee anything! BTW, call Subaru direct and tell them your problem. They MAY help in the repair payment. I did! This problem left a bad taste in my mouth about Subaru's because this is a HUGE problem with their 2.5 engines! It was an obvious design flaw that they are not coming out and admitting to. They just say it is "normal" wear and tear (heating and cooling) on the engine. I bought a Subaru in the first place because of their reputation of running next to forever. Now I have to re-think that!

Good Luck!