Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I just dump the Phase I 2.5L engine?

My local mechanic says he's had 'bad luck' replacing blown HGs on 2.5L engines while one dealership quotes me 1700 with milled heads and says comebacks are few and far between. (other dealerships come in as low as 1200-1400 depending on if the heads have to be milled)

My mechanic says he'll swap in a 2.2L (presumably with standard transmission) for 1100 bucks. This sounds a little too good to be true...but then again I guess he would be getting an 4EAT in excellent shape. (Can 4EATs be mated with 2.2L engines?)

Is a HG job done right(with the redesigned gaskets) worth it with these Phase I 2.5L engines ?

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

--Damien

the 2.2 is a great motor and runs forever, but be advised it also doesn't pull like the 2.5.

if it's a DOHC i'd get rid of it. if it's a SOHC i'd put new gaskets in it, the dealer was right in that the newer gaskets have few issues. i don't recall reading anyone having this occur after the new gasket were installed. (though i'm sure it has happened...at least due to overheating, water pump failure or somethign).

sounds like he just doesnt want to do it. i havent heard of anyone having a problem replacing the headgaskets, i mean if most of us can do it in our driveways, what is his problem?

i had a mechanic tht had "problems" with subaru axles. i found it was easier to change mechanics and never had a problem since. car always gets fixed right the first time.

Find another mechnainc

nipper

Phase I 2.5L was DOHC non turbo. These have a higher than normal failure of headgasket failure between a coolant passage and cylinder. This causes high coolant pressure under load conditions (coolant gets pushed out the overflow bottle) and the engine overheats. The current multilayer replacement headgasket seems to have addressed the problem and should be considered a long term fix.

Phase II is a SOHC non turbo. These also had a smaller percentage of headgasket failures. But here the leak was external and causes coolant loss and puddles under the vehicle. Here Subaru tested and released a coolant conditioner that should be added at each coolant replacement. This recall covers all 99 to mid-year 03 2.5L SOHC. In the MY03 it's determined by VIN and/or build date.

My sister-in-law replaced her head gaskets on a '97 with 144,000 miles on it. They just blew - only lasted another 101,000.

I replaced the HG on my 97 at 140,000. It had 165,000 when I sold it to her, so maybe she'll only get another 80,000 out of this one if what your mechanic says is true.

Personally I'd focus on the "bad luck" part. Job cost me around $1,200.

Phase I 2.5L was DOHC non turbo. These have a higher than normal failure of headgasket failure between a coolant passage and cylinder. This causes high coolant pressure under load conditions (coolant gets pushed out the overflow bottle) and the engine overheats. The current multilayer replacement headgasket seems to have addressed the problem and should be considered a long term fix.

Phase II is a SOHC non turbo. These also had a smaller percentage of headgasket failures. But here the leak was external and causes coolant loss and puddles under the vehicle. Here Subaru tested and released a coolant conditioner that should be added at each coolant replacement. This recall covers all 99 to mid-year 03 2.5L SOHC. In the MY03 it's determined by VIN and/or build date.

Thanks for the information! Any idea what the coolant conditioner is or where to get it? I don't have a Subaru dealer very near, but I am right down the road from Advanced/auto-zone. Thanks in advance.

Subaru ONLY recommends the Subaru Coolant Conditioner in the Phase II 2.5L. If done at the recommended coolant change intervals and documented, they warrenty the HG for a 100K.

In any case, the only one they recommend is their own as they did extensive testing on the all aluminium engine / radiator befoer releasing it.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5InsidEWMay05.pdf