Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2L engine + 4EAT auto tranny possible?

I'm thinking strongly about installing a 2.2L engine in my OB to replace the poorly-designed 2.5L engine. Is it possible to mate the 4EAT tranny in there with this engine? What are the potential pitfalls involved?

Thanks for your input...

--Damien

Dealer just got finished with my 2.5L -> 2.2L swap. Said it went it really easy. Purrs like a kitten. CEL is on, though... gotta go get the codes checked. I'm betting/hoping there's a vacuum line loose, or he forgot to plug the lines leading to the now-nonexistant charcoal (EVAP) cannister.

Mine was manual, btw... used the 2.5L clutch rump roast'y & flywheel.

Shouldn't be. I'll know better myself, first hand, when I go get the code(s) checked tonight. Second hand, the ECU should handle it fine, and all the wiring matches up exactly.

Update: Got the code checked... bad "O2 sensor heater". Nothing related to the engine directly, more likely caused by whatever oil and gunk my old 2.5L puked out the exhaust.

Got a little braver on the pedal tonight, too... the 2.2L might have less pickup, but I'm not missing it all that much.

yes, any EJ tranny will bolt up to any EJ motor, and i do mean ANY. the only thing that changes are the gear ratios, and the fact of being automatic or not. hell, if you really felt like it you could throw in a wrx tranny into your 1994 legacy and call it good, you would get really good mileage on the highway, but horrible take off and maintain speed, ratios are too long, not made for N/A cars.

~Josh~

I'm considering a 2.2 replacement for my existing 2.5 in my 97 Outback wagon 5 speed. I've got a line on a 2.2 from a 93 legacy sedan automatic with 120k miles that can be bought for less than the cost of a new crank angle sensor for a 92 legacy. "Must" it be a 2.2 from a 95 and up that would be "plug and play" with the electrical/exhaust manifold etc.? I'm guessing the flywheel from my 97 would bolt up to the 2.2 and the clutch components as well? Or would I need to find a flywheel etc. for the 2.2 that came out of an automatic to be installed in my manual outback?

I'm considering a 2.2 replacement for my existing 2.5 in my 97 Outback wagon 5 speed. I've got a line on a 2.2 from a 93 legacy sedan automatic with 120k miles that can be bought for less than the cost of a new crank angle sensor for a 92 legacy. "Must" it be a 2.2 from a 95 and up that would be "plug and play" with the electrical/exhaust manifold etc.? I'm guessing the flywheel from my 97 would bolt up to the 2.2 and the clutch components as well? Or would I need to find a flywheel etc. for the 2.2 that came out of an automatic to be installed in my manual outback?

Any EJ tranny will fit any EJ engine. Also true with the flywheel, torque converter, flexplate, etc. The wiring harness on the other hand. . .

in 95 they changed the ECU to be OBDII compliant, also they moved the engine wiring harness to the rear, from the front left. Putting a pre-95 engine in a 95 or later car is just asking for a "hobby". . . :brow: