Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale........Portland....Timing belts........ help? please?

Hey there my subaru after 347K is starting to fall apart i think but im not ready to give up on her yet! Today i went out and started my car and she ran fine for a few, heard a click and she died and wont re start now. I have never heard this thing sound like it does when i crank it. Almost like there is nothin spinning and im think that in the life of this car (all 347000 miles) the timing belts have never been changed! how do i check them and how hard are they to replace? anyone want to help in the Portland area? lol ill provide the pizza! anyways any ideas would be great hit me up!

Thanks.

~Airick~

OK read some posts on here and got the idea to pull the cap and did so and nothin moves so atleast i know now my drivers side belt is broke! How long does it take to fix and how much will it cost me? i very handy with cars and am use to workin on my camaro and cuda but never a subaru! any hints, tips, trick, anything helps guys! like i said in the first one i live in Portland Oregon and will buy all the pizza you can eat if ya wanna come help! :) :) :)

Hi,

I'm in L.O.

It's easier for access and for aligning the camshafts to drain coolant and remove the radiater and grill.

The 2 T-belts should cost about $45 total.

Since you get access to the oil pump and water pump you may want to do some preventative maintenance also - replace micky-mouse gasket on the oil pump and consider replacing the water pump. If you decide to replace the water pump, take the old one to the parts store to match up the height with the replacement one (there are two replacements with different heights).

First time for replacement and no other problems - 2 hours.

Tom 503-881-7872 (I'm off today)

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15718#post15718

These instructions are a very good . It helped me a lot.

I bookmarked it a while ago. I was not even aware about USMB at the time. Now images don't work, but I'm behind the firewall.

Anyway, I've done timing belts couple of times. Feel free to ask me questions if you get any.

I've found Miles Fox's link with good pictures:

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

Sam

How hard will it be to get it all timed since the motor has been spinning with no belt and all? will i have a problem figuring that out? also any other gaskets that are super easy and shoulb be changed while im in there?

I just ordered both belts ($22.46+$26.13), micky mouse gasket ($4.24), Cam seals and O rings and a few other cheap gaskets i cant remember i just ordered everything the dude at the dealership told me to! its all in stock and less than 75 bucks i dont think thats very bad at all. anything else i should pick up? whos comin for pizza? lol

wether the belt broke or didn't break you always gotta start from the beggining and align the crank/cams when changing t-belts.. wish i was closer i'd help ya out.. keep in mind the car should run the same as it did before the new belts.. if its missing, no power, etc. you prolly gotta tear it back down and recheck it.. something might not be aligned right..

if ya take your time and go by the book (no shortcuts) you'll have it back up and running in no time.. first time i did belts it took me 3 tries at tearing it back down cause i got it wrong and about 4 hours, lol.. now they're a whizz in about 45 min..

How hard will it be to get it all timed since the motor has been spinning with no belt and all? will i have a problem figuring that out? also any other gaskets that are super easy and shoulb be changed while im in there?

As far as I know R/L front cam shaft seals, but I've never done it.

Timing should not take you long, since you start the procedure by aligning the flywheel with the timing maks.

I have a timing belt tensioner tool that you can BORROW if you need it.

You need to tension the timing belts to around 18 foot pounds (to the LEFT with a torque wrench) before you tighten up the bolts on the tensioners.

PM me if you need it. If by chance Kayakertom will be there, I could pass the tool onto him with some CV's and stuff I am selling him this weekend. :)

I have a timing belt tensioner tool that you can BORROW if you need it.

You need to tension the timing belts to around 18 foot pounds (to the LEFT with a torque wrench) before you tighten up the bolts on the tensioners.

PM me if you need it. If by chance Kayakertom will be there, I could pass the tool onto him with some CV's and stuff I am selling him this weekend. :)

Oh wow i didnt know i needed a special tool! thats nice to know! that would be awesome to borrow it and not have to go buy one! i dont have a torque wrench here i dont think..... grrrrr almost ready to break down and let the local rape shop do this for me! i hate new cars! lol Im not sure if he wants to come help or not i spoke with him today and he gave me some tips over the phone but didnt offer to help out... but yeah that would be cool to make it all in one pass for ya! where abouts are ya at?

I got a 92 loyale threw the timing belt on her so time to change em! i got the parts and a few extras to change while in there! i provide pizza and all the tools and whatever else ya want! lol (within reason) Never done this before so im lookin for a lil help and the sooner the better! shes my daily driver so got to get her rollin quick and dont want to pay shop prices! (1500 bucks i think not!) PM or hit me up 503-358-3419! Any help would be awesome!!!! Thanks guys!

~Airick~

Well i got it up and going!!! Thanks to toms help and awesmoeness we got it runnin like a top in about 5 hours flat...... pretty easy change didnt run in to to much hard stuff but it was nice to have tom ther ebecause there was a lot of little things that i would of never figured out!!!! But yeah i put 300 miles on it since last night even a lil bit of wheelin in the snow today and still runnin strong!!! Thanks you guys for your advice and help and thanks tom for helpin me out!!!