Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Milkshake any one?

I tried (again) to get my car to turn over with the key today to no avail...so i rolled it into town...parked it....and let it sit to see if it would idle - it died twice on the three mile drive down the hill - and it did the shudder-putter-shudder and did not want to stay fired up. Upon popping the hood i smelled oil burning but had no smoke...oil was coming down from the pan onto the skid plate...check the dip stick and i find a thick gross layer of hersheys.

so..cracked block or headgasket is my guess, thus coolant in the oil.

its not getting driven any where except up the lift to pull the exaust and get scoped.

who's got the record on tear down and full re-build?!?!

seriously though - how long am i gonna be at this?

or should i forgo the ea82 block entirely and source a lego engine?

now im stuck driving my special-lady-friends cherokee classic:rolleyes:

I'd drain the oil 1st and see just how bad it really is. Ive seen milkshake on my oil cap before due to bad PCV but not on the dipstick. Subarian is right, the dipstick should be overfull if the mix is really bad.

If you goto drain it and it does this:

002_G.jpg

Then yeah, you probably have a problem. The above picture was from an EA81 I got with bad headgaskets. Prev owner drove it for a couple months until it wouldnt turn over anymore. Took about 10 days to teardown and put back together with all new gaskets. Thats including waiting 3 days for the machine shop to finish my heads, and working only 2-3hrs a day after work.

-Brian

Yeah Patrick, and I photoshopped this one as well :D :

014_G.jpg

That was the 1st time I had ever torn an engine apart. I did it about 3 years ago and havent had to do it since. Now im up against the RX and will be doing the same thing as soon as I get a replacement block. I find it best to buy an engine gasket kit. Napa said they could get them for around $200. I opted for the SOA Kit, and was told it was the last in the US (sorry :o )

Timing belt kits are going for around $70 on ebay, just got a set and they look pretty good. Idlers and all.

-Brian

I find it best to buy an engine gasket kit. Napa said they could get them for around $200. I opted for the SOA Kit, and was told it was the last in the US (sorry :o )

-Brian

If your pricing a head gasket kit for an ea81 check out Schucks online. I am thinking about doing it soon so priced one at $73 for Fel-Pro full kit for doing head gaskets, valves, intake, exaust all that jazz. For 82 5speed Fwd. Unless Ive got the wrong deal that sounds a hell of alot better.

What NAPA are you going to? I just ordered a gasket set from NAPA for $87.00. In fact, I'm getting gaskets, rings, and bearings from my local NAPA for a little over $200.00.

I drained a similiar goo out the engine we're working on now. In my case (pun intended), the engine had water instead of anti-freeze in it and froze up. Luckily, all it did was push one freeze plug out of each head and make one small crack on the outside of the case, which I had welded up. The amazing part is, I know this engine was driven like this, and it has 100,000 miles on it. There is still some crosshatch showing in the cylinder bores and the crank is fine.

Just one more reason why I'm a Subey man!

Not so quick. A bad PCV will make hershey's on your dipstick. If it's coolant mixing with oil, it will be milky-looking, and your oil will be over-full.

the car would not idle, the oil was sludge and sat very low on the dipstick. im guessing that the high oil pressure is indicitive of an over-full oil pan. im going to drain 'er and start pulling hoses after i get out of class at 3.

ill try to post pics but i doubt it will be anything near the DQ machine.

-

neal

turns out i had a vac line disconnected...so fixed that

drained the oil and the consistancy of the oil coming from the pan wasn't as frothy and light as i had seen on my dip stick the day previous....it just looked like condensation....so i filled her up smacked on a new filter turned the key and BANG, she fired right up and idled nice.

no smoke, no burning odors, and its running smooth....tragety averted for the time being i hope.

Make sure your radiator is full. Then leave the cap off the radiator and run your engine. Let the engine idle and warm up. You want to reach operating temperatures and then look into the radiator through the cap. Look to see if there are any bubbles appearing. If the coolant in the radiator bubbles over a prolonged amount of time, and doesnt stop that is a sign of a faulty head gasket.

A compression test on the engine will also reveal a bad gasket if one exists.

-Brian