Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The auto transmission fluid cooler, which is located below the radiator, has an inlet and an outlet hose between it and the tranny, but I don't know which is which. They are at the same height; one is on the driver side, the other on the passenger side of the cooler. If I guessed, I'd have a 50/50 chance of being right (or wrong).

The reason I'm asking this question is I'm planning to do an ATF flush, which involves disconning the return line and letting the old fluid drain into a bucket while replacing it with new fluid.

Just a quesion or two, as I've never done this myself.

How are you putting the new fluid in?

I'm not sure it it's healthy to let it pour out of the pressure hose and not have any coming in the return line.

Is a tranny flush that expensive?

Seems like a lot of work and mess if it doesn't cost that much.

You could always drain your pan, refill it, then repeat the procedure the next week, and once more if you want.

If you are thinking all the old fluid will be replaced in the torque converter, I don't believe it will be, doing a flush as you are suggesting.

Sometimes its better to pay the 99.00 to have somone do it The fluid is going to come out faster then you can put it in, and there is a chance of running the front pump dry. You do that you have fried your tranny. The other method is painfully slow, but it drain the pan, put the new oil in run the tranny thrur the gears or around the block, repeate, untill all the oil is replaced. You wont fry the tranny this way.

nipper

Just a quesion or two, as I've never done this myself.

How are you putting the new fluid in?

I'm not sure it it's healthy to let it pour out of the pressure hose and not have any coming in the return line.

Is a tranny flush that expensive?

Seems like a lot of work and mess if it doesn't cost that much.

You could always drain your pan, refill it, then repeat the procedure the next week, and once more if you want.

If you are thinking all the old fluid will be replaced in the torque converter, I don't believe it will be, doing a flush as you are suggesting.

New fluid goes in the dipstick hole.

I think a tranny flush is about $100, which I would like to avoid paying if possible.

not positive, but i think the lines don't really matter. it's two lines going into a box, flow doesn't matter so long as the lines aren't kinked or obstructed in anyway.

i used to do it this way, but i've since determined it's better to drain the ATF pan and refill. do it three times and consider it flushed. i want many 100's of thousands of miles out of mine and think this the better method. i've done both methods on the same vehicle and i don't really know if it gets that much more out than just emptying the pan to be honest with you. i never noticed "that" much more coming out cranking the motor than just draining the pan.

JUst cranking the motor is not going to do anything, so yes your right its the same. Your not getting the flow to get it out of the torque converter, and the vlaves and all the other goodies. The three times trick is much more complete if your not going to have it professionally done

nipper