Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It was about 8inches deep...

Why can't the Capital District get hit with 8" of snow? :banghead:. I wanna play too. All we ever get is only three inches or so.

I did get to play around with the AWD that first snow storm though (had to work this morning, so I couldn't play in the ice/sleet/rain/snow mix). I love power sliding by spinning two (not four, right? AWD, no LSDs, so one front wheel and one rear wheel spinning, no power to the others). It's fun :banana:

frag might be stuck in traffic, hope not .

I think we got something like 16.5 inches....and my tires

Yes, not the quiet 12 inches I was expecting, but the worst Montreal snow blizzard since 1971 (according to the newspapers).

When I left home at 6:30, the snow had been falling hard since around 3 o'clock and there was not a plow in sight. The car was drifting a little in corners but I got to the hospital with ten minutes to spare. Not much traffic yet and i was leaving behind almost every car that was there.

After that I had to go to school and back to the hospital around two in the afternoon. That was the hardest part. I had to go up side streets with steep slopes (Ontario to Sherbrooke for those who know Montreal) where fwd cars were spinning their wheels hopelessly. Could get around some, but had to change streets charging thru completely unplowed alleys.

The car performed quite well but I felt at some places that I was nearing the limits of the Legacy's ground clearance.

For those who expressed concern, my wife got thru the operation extremely well and though she is not yet completely out of the woods, her chances for a complete recovery are very good.

P.-S.: Only one strange thing happened with the car. After having it working hard in first and second thru deep drifts, the idle speed began rising to 1000 and 1200 at traffic lights. At first I thought the engine was maybe overheating a little but the temp gauge needle never left the normal zone. When I came back home later in the afternoon idle speed had come down to normal. Any ideas what that was?

P.-S.: Only one strange thing happened with the car. After having it working hard in first and second thru deep drifts, the idle speed began rising to 1000 and 1200 at traffic lights. At first I thought the engine was maybe overheating a little but the temp gauge needle never left the normal zone. When I came back home later in the afternoon idle speed had come down to normal. Any ideas what that was?

Well, the ECU raises the idle rpm to warm up the engine. Perhaps you jammed a whole bunch of snow in the engine compartment charging drifts, and cooled the sensor the ECU uses, but not the one the guage reads from? I don't know if this is possible with where they are located (I have a loyale, so I don't even know), but that's my half baked theory. :rolleyes:

Glad you made it through the snow alright. We're getting a little here tonight, but not more than an inch or so. Too cold to accumulate much. (9F now, 3F forcast for the low tonight).

I was pretty nervous on the one occasion my wife had to have surgery. Best wishes for a rapid recovery for her and your nerves as well.

I wonder if your exhaust being packed with snow would affect your ox sensor?

It seems like that would make the cat pretty cold.

I was pretty nervous on the one occasion my wife had to have surgery. Best wishes for a rapid recovery for her and your nerves as well.

I wonder if your exhaust being packed with snow would affect your ox sensor?

It seems like that would make the cat pretty cold.

Thanks. And the cold cat theory makes a lot of sense.