Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmition non turbo d/r VS. turbo d/r

I have a 1986 subaru gl wagon that I installed a turbo motor from a 87 gl10. I am still using the non turbo 5 speed d/r out of the 1986. With 265,000 miles on the trans it is on its way out.

So what trans should i get to replace it. Sould I try the turbo dual range trans. I noticed in the manual that the gear ratios are different.

I saved the 3.7 ratio rear end out of the turbo car so I have it if I want to change to the turbo tranny. Also I have a set of axles off the turbo so I have the 25 spline front axles.

There is a subaru with the full time 4wd d/r trans and a regular non turbo d/r both with low miles at my local junk yard.

What is the best for performance.

well i'm not really sure what would be the best it would depend on if you want top speed or quicker take off. you will have pretty good take off with a turbo but with the turbo and the 3:70 ratio you will have higher top speeds. so it pretty much depends on what you want it to do. if you want to sell the non-turbo d/r 5 speed let me know i might be interested.

I have a 1986 subaru gl wagon that I installed a turbo motor from a 87 gl10. I am still using the non turbo 5 speed d/r out of the 1986. With 265,000 miles on the trans it is on its way out.

So what trans should i get to replace it. Sould I try the turbo dual range trans. I noticed in the manual that the gear ratios are different.

I saved the 3.7 ratio rear end out of the turbo car so I have it if I want to change to the turbo tranny. Also I have a set of axles off the turbo so I have the 25 spline front axles.

There is a subaru with the full time 4wd d/r trans and a regular non turbo d/r both with low miles at my local junk yard.

What is the best for performance.

Okay from looking at OEM manuals the turbo trans does run a taller ring gear the 3.7 but the gear ratios in the trans are lower so I think it pretty much works out to be the same. I am in southern california and I might be interested in selling the old trans once I get the new one in. As for the post that the turbo dual range only came in the rx. My manual shows that the d/r also came in the 87 gl-10.

I wanted to see if anyone has tried both. It seems like 1st gear with the non turbo trans is very short. I wondered if the ratios in the turbo trans suit the higher horsepower engine better.

AFAIK, Turbos did not come with a D/R tranny.

They were available but I dont think there were many, they seem to be most common in '86 Turbo 3-door Coupes (I have one, parts car).

wes200x, you're right the 1st tru 5th gear ratios are adjusted for the 3.7 final drive but the overall the 3.9 trans will have slightly lower gearing due to the lower power of the N/A engine. The Fulltime 4WD D/R (locking center diff) trans was only available in the RX and if you can get one I'd suggest looking into it... its a very nice box behind the turbo engine. Another note, the RX F/T D/R has a 1.2:1 low range (others are 1.5:1), which functions as a gear splitter (2ed Low is a great sharp corner gear :D ). This Low ratio also falls right in as a 6th gear... launch in Low range (which equates to 4.44 diff gears), shift through the 5 gears then go to high range at the top.

Gary

FWIW my '85 d/r 3.9 wagon did run at the same speed and rpm as my '89 rx 3.7 d/r does.

suberdave, I would trade you the '85 d/r 3.9 from the wagon that I put in the brat for your 3.7 d/r with diflock

or I know of an '86 d/r 3.9 in a local j/y

and yes, the gears are different between '85 and '86