Ultimate Subaru Message Board

doors autolock on ignition on 99 obw. possible?

Thanks for the answer. I looked all over the net but couldn't find any user manual or any info for that matter. My last hope was this forum when I found it. I'll just have to do a trial and error approach to see if I can come up with anything. Can you tell me where the alarm module is supposed to be located? I'm assuming it's gotta be under the dash on the left side of the steering column, but it's kinda freezing outside and I can't spend too much time looking for it; I just wanna take it inside and disassemble it to examine the circuit.

Thanks

In my 99OBW its shoved way up under the dash, pretty much directly under the steering colum. Its a prety small unmarked box. Easiest way to find it is try to trace the wire coming through the firewall for the speaker, should weave its way up there. As for any information other then that on the alarm, youve got me. Hope thats some help. Oh, btw, yes you can see it and get to it without taking off the bottom plastic dash thing.

HA, had a stupid idea, rig up an LM555 as a monostable one-shot if youre good with electronics and attach it to the start position on the ignition key, then use a relay or nice big transistor and tap into the door lock switch. Haha, I know thats a rather out there solution, and its a lot more trouble then its worth, but it would do the trick. Just make sure to use the relay and the lm555, otherwise it could backfeed, or get stuck and keep locking the doors.:grin:

Thanks for the info. Ultimately I'll have to resort to a home rigged scheme (perhaps with a microcontroller since it's cheap, effective and configurable), but I'll try my luck on the alarm first. It's gotta have the autolock feature and if I can find it then a lot of people with less technical abilities can use the info if they so desire.

I have a 99 OBW Limited with an Alpine alarm (security system). Is it possible to configure the alarm as in previous CodeAlarm models (with dip switches)? Also I need to know the location of the alarm module.

Thanks.

If your 99 OBW has the dealer-installed Subaru alarm system by Alpine, the alarm module is at the center of the dash, right below and slightly behind the stereo. To my knowledge, that control box is not "configurable".