Ultimate Subaru Message Board

caliper problem?????

the front calipers have to be screwed back in, do no use a C-clamp to push them back in, you'll need new calipers after that.

I believe you have to screw them in clockwise. (when I have a 50/50 chance I'm wrong 90% of the time. Can someone verify this?)

I've had the best luck undoing the brake line, taking the caliper out of the car, and bracing it somewhere while I screwed them back in. It's possible to screw them back in without undoing the brake line/bleeder, but it will be harder to screw in (it's hard enough as it is).

edit: everything you need to know http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27266&highlight=caliper+rotation

Yup. Clockwise to screw them in. Loosen the bleeder valve to let off pressure and its a little easier. Still usually involves some swearing. I usually use a pair of 8" needle nose pliers to turn it. They seem to go in very slowly, but after a few minutes of turning and grunting (and don't stab yourself with the pliers either), it's done. If you have someone else to hold the caliper while you do it, it's easier.

or maybe that tool that iamtheq showed. Is that seriously the right tool and not some chinese puzzle?

the front calipers have to be screwed back in, do no use a C-clamp to push them back in, you'll need new calipers after that.

I believe you have to screw them in clockwise. (when I have a 50/50 chance I'm wrong 90% of the time. Can someone verify this?)

I've had the best luck undoing the brake line, taking the caliper out of the car, and bracing it somewhere while I screwed them back in. It's possible to screw them back in without undoing the brake line/bleeder, but it will be harder to screw in (it's hard enough as it is).

edit: everything you need to know http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27266&highlight=caliper+rotation

You will need a special tool to turn the piston, but I've seen people doing it with needle nose pliers.

A very important note: make sure a notch in the caliper is located the same way it was before you started turning it (not sure but I think it's in the bottom). Otherwise the pad would not seat right.

Sam

or maybe that tool that iamtheq showed. Is that seriously the right tool and not some chinese puzzle?

Yes, that is really the right tool. This one is actually universal. A subaru specific one that I've seen is a disc with the two nubs on it that align with the subaru calipers. This square puzzle looking tool can be used on the common screw-in type calipers of all makes. The square hole accepts a 3/8 inch ratchet head and you just go from there.