Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is Justy really Swift?

I know there is a swift and a sport my justy i tried looking for a motor all over from the usa japan and canada so i delt with a local mechanic. That has connections and found one. For me then i went to the local indian wrecking yard i swear they have ten acres of cars and they have three there and a crap load of subaru s all over.. I wish i knew how to post pics would show you all some of mine.. cute cars called a fun justy and parts are non existant i found out. Even when trying to find parts..

bobby

deming,wa

does anyone know for certain if another suzuki engine such as a 1.6 16v or turbo swift WILL or WILL NOT bolt up to the justy trans? my lord that would be a cool motor in a justy.

also anyone have more info on these turbo justy's? If they actually exist that is going to be my next vehicle. hell Im thinkin of picking one up anyway!

Too bad you can't find Subaru Vivios in the States. They are little Kei cars that have small displacement (658 cc's to be precise) turbocharged engines and are feather light. But when you do some modifications to them, they are rediculously fast. The locals here in Okinawa love these things to death. I have seen a couple that were so fast it was just stupid! I wanted to cry, it was such a beautiful sight. I have been thinking about ditching my Starlet and buying one. They are sweet as the pic will prove. Oh, and I forgot to mention that best of all, they are Fulltime 4WD with a 5 Speed Manual Tranny!!! These little babies are rally proven cars(YES, I said RALLY PROVEN). Can You say Subaru Justy reincarnate?!!!

Here is a link to a pic of this little hotrod:http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/subaruvivio.html

This one is the vehicle specs:http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/subaru/vivio/1992_12/28875/

And finally, here is a link to a site by a guy who is known as Vivioman:http://vivioman.stormloader.com/

This site has valuable info concerning the Subaru Vivio and associated modifications. Enjoy everybody:) !!!

Patrick

the Subaru justy EF10 and EF12 are an engine family in all their own... no suzuki, daihatsu, or GM motor will bolt directly up to that bellhousing. I have been all over compact cars at the wrecking yards trying to find something else that will fit. The only thing actually, that I did see that was a similar bellhousing, was a 2cyl industrial diesel engine made by subaru that was on ebay a few months back. I am purely fascinated by the little 3 banger anyway. I like the fact that the little motor puts out approx 1hp per cubic inch mpfi from the factory.

When time and money allow in the near future, I am gonna see just how much HP I can squeeze out of my EF12 motor. (sc12 supercharger)

-Mike

alright...all justys we got in this continent were ALL SUBARU parts. Engine, Trans, Suspension, EVERYTHING.

how do i know?? i started with a 1988 Carbed 4wd (1750 lbs). I then picked up a 1990 EFI 4wd, and i swapped the entire EFI system into the Carbed car (lighter shell). I drove it N/A for a while...Then took a turbo from an EA82 and bolted it onto the car. I was running stock compression, with 10 PSI, on 94 Octane fuel and a Greddy Emanage. The thing made enough power that i roasted 2 factory clutches, and finally got one clutch made from kevlar, and the pressure plate double springed. The car would smoke a stock WRX up to about 110kph (when the justy was at about 4,000 rpm in 5th)

Was a seriously fun car.

My guess is i was making 115 HP or so....there was alot more in the car, as i never got around to properly tuning it...it probably had 130 hp in it with more tuning.

I parked the thing, to fix a pile of other stuff, and i'm going to be driving a Celica Alltrac in a week or so (a more comfortable street car). The justy will live again as a toy car!

controller.jpg

We didn't get the Justy here 'til '87, and in '88 in 4wd guise. '94 was the last year worldwide for all-Subaru Justies. '96 and later are totally badge engineered--that car was sold under at least six different nameplates, with Suzuki holding some exclusive rights in some places (turbo in the States with the Swift GTi, marketing, period, in Japan, etc.) and Subaru retaining 4WD rights in Europe. The Justy is still being sold in Europe--it's a rebadged Suzuki Ignis although it looks a lot like Subaru's own Pleo. It's probable that it will be dropped and replaced on the European market with the R2 in the not too distant future. It's already been pulled from Great Britain.

1991: Suzuki Swift's first model year

Sold as:

Suzuki Swift

Suzuki Cultus (Japan)

Geo Metro (also in convertible version)

Pontiac Firefly

later, in Australia/NZ:

Holden Barina

These models were all redesigned in 1995, put on the market as 1996 models and were joined by the new Justy. In 1998, when the Geo brand folded, the Metro was rebadged a Chevy. Currently no former Geo models are still being sold as Chevrolets--the Swift is gone (replaced by a Daewoo, the Aveo); the Corolla (Chevy/Geo Prizm) was totally replaced by the Cavalier and now the Aveo; the Tracker is gone (replaced by the homegrown Equinox/Torrent); and the Storm didn't stick around long enough to have to be rebadged.

Here's the newest Swift at the Paris auto show:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/paris_2004/0411_swift/

Note it has nothing in common with the current G3X Justy.