Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok after searching for a good time i need to ask this. Is their anyway to tell the difference in years between ej22's? like can i tell if an ej22 is 92 or newer? I don't have the car (engine was pulled by someone else) trying to do a motor swap into a loyale. also is their a specific california engine? like i have to buy a cali engine if it is to pass smog?

any help is much appreciated

Ok after searching for a good time i need to ask this. Is their anyway to tell the difference in years between ej22's? like can i tell if an ej22 is 92 or newer? I don't have the car (engine was pulled by someone else) trying to do a motor swap into a loyale. also is their a specific california engine? like i have to buy a cali engine if it is to pass smog?

89-91 use three connectors on the left side of the engine to connect the engine wiring harnes, and have grey injectors.

92-94 use two connectors on the left side of the engine for wiring, and have red injectors.

95 and up use three connectors in the right rear of the engine, and have a pipe on the left head that connects the EGR system together (Head to intake manifold).

That I know of, there is not any particular difference in the engine that makes it California vs Fedral, except that the CA one uses a longer lasting timing belt (I recomend changing that anyway, if you do not know when it was last done on the engine you have.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to inquire at the DMV about what regs they might have for replacement engines in terms of passing smog. They might even have some answers on their web site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/