Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(I know my Legacy is still at the panel beaters - will get it back end of 2 wks time or mid 3 wks time)

Lately errr happened 5000 kms ago, when I am driving 40kmh plus upto 100/110kmh) I have some sort of noise sounds like worn wheel bearing, when I push the clutch in (while driving at 100kmh/revs drops to 900rpm) the noise stops (just sound like (road noise) when I bought my Legacy 10 months ago) which works out either gearbox/diff/rear diff or engine crankshaft bearing is on its way out?¿?.. but if i put the car in gear while driving it does make that kind of noises. Its hard for me to diagnose the noise as I am hearing impaired and no one around me is mechanically minded - only way is to take it to mechanic's but requires booking and I don't have the time for that.

Oh yeah its now 210700kms, 5MT AWD EJ22. PLus I've changed the gearbox & rear diff oils - doesn't change.

What could it be?

Cheers

AP

possibly a worn throwout bearing in the clutch. Geta freind to sit in the car with you. With the engine warmed up press the clutch in adn release it in neutral. See if your freind hears any changes in the noise. Read this

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Manual_Transmission/throw-out_bearing.shtml

its sounds like it may be time for a clutch

nipper

possibly a worn throwout bearing in the clutch. Geta freind to sit in the car with you. With the engine warmed up press the clutch in adn release it in neutral. See if your freind hears any changes in the noise. Read this

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Manual_Transmission/throw-out_bearing.shtml

its sounds like it may be time for a clutch

nipper

I always thought that the clutch throw out bearing would make the noise when you enage the clutch but not during while you're driving?

It doesn't make any noise when you push the clutch pedel in/and while the gear is not in use & clutch is released doesn't make any noise at all (just rolling at 100kmh ie. downhill).

Cheers

AP

When you press the clutch pedal there is no longer any load on the throwout bearing so the noise goes away whether the car is moving or not.

I'd beg to differ on that. When the clutch pedal is out, the throw out bearing is not under any load, and should just be sitting there not turning.... I say should be sitting there not spinning, but it seems like t/o bearings always have a tendency to just touch the clutch cover when at rest, and spin a little... which is why an out of adjustment clutch will cause a t/o bearing to fail prematurley......it will always be spinning...

(it can also cause the "fingers" on the clutch cover to wear down and break, allowing the T/O bearing to not be loaded equally, and fail catastrophically...... breaking the t/o fork, clutch cover, bell housing.... I know from experience... :banghead: )

When the clutch pedal is depressed, the throw out bearing moves forward, begins spinning with the clutch cover, and then picks up a load as it releases the clutch disc from between the flywheel and the pressure plate.

If you get noise with the tranny in neutral and the clutch is out (pedal not depressed), then it could be the T/O bearing or a main shaft bearing, etc. However, even if the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, it could still be either a T/O bearing or some other bearing. I think the key here is that even with the car in motion, the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed. If it was a tranny bearing, even with the clutch in, if the car is left in gear while coasting, the input shaft would still be turning from reverse input (drivetrain torque), which would keep the tranny bearings spinning, continuing to make noise. But since it goes away I'd suspect a T/O bearing also.

Good luck,

NV