Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i got a 95 legacy awd 5speed 2.2 on average iam getting 18.5-18.7mpg on every fill up at the same GULF gas station. i try to take it easy on the car while shifting and thats never going over 55mph. once in a while i might put the gas to the floor. and i dont even let it warm up in the mornings i have a wheel bearing going bad in the back wheel, before i was geting around 20mpg this last time i filled it up with super and got 18.6mpg

i got a 95 legacy awd 5speed 2.2 on average iam getting 18.5-18.7mpg on every fill up at the same GULF gas station. i try to take it easy on the car while shifting and thats never going over 55mph. once in a while i might put the gas to the floor. and i dont even let it warm up in the mornings i have a wheel bearing going bad in the back wheel, before i was geting around 20mpg this last time i filled it up with super and got 18.6mpg

When's the last time you did a general tune-up on it?

I know it's not a Subi but on my Daily Driver I dropped from an average of around 24mpg to 20-21 recently (and it was running like crap ;) ). I just did plugs/wires/cap/rotor/all filters etc. this weekend and am back up to 25mpg (better than it's been in at least a year :) ).

Is it running okay overall? Or does it feel down on power or miss?

-TJ

Our MY95 Legacy automatic MPG drops every winter. Right now I'm getting an average 20-21 when I usually get 23-24 in mostly local daily driving.

I think there are 2 factors in my case.

#1 is the winter mix gasoline. I know the oxygenated formulation reduces my MPG.

#2 is the automatic transmission (I know yours is a manual). The extended CAT warm-up in winter weather keeps the tranny from shifting into overdrive for at least the first few miles of travel. If I get on the Interstate which is .5 mile away, it revs high for 3-4 miles. I keep it under 50 until it finally shifts up.

I Also know if I take a long highway trip the 29-30 MPG I get in the warmer weather drops to 27-28 in winter.

Tire pressure drops in the winter a couple of pounds, have you checked them?

a wheel bearing can make some more drag. I think its winter, winter fuel, and a tuneup. out of curiosity, whats the milage on this puppy. Also check your tire pressures.

nipper

And when was the last time you replaced the 02 sensor? Even if you don't have a CEL yet it may be on its way out...also, maybe the same GULF gas station is your problem. Try to find a high-traffic Mobil and fill it with premium, then record your mileage on the second tank.

once a month i run a tank of super the spark plugs are not that old only this summer and my highway miles mpg suck on the highway it seems that i gewt less miles per gallon when i running high way speeds about 65mph in 5 gear its running at 3 thousand rpm at 70 mph it running a little above 3.5 thousand rpm the car has 115,000 miles and i change the oil and the oil filter every 3,000 miles and clean out the air filter

is there differnt gears that were put in the 95 subaru legacy awd 5 speed my car seems like its gear really low

Have you recently changed the air cleaner? Here in lovely southern Ohio, I have seen up to 5 mpg of drop in six months (on many different cars) due to a clogged air cleaner.

And no, the element does not look dirty to my eye, but the mileage comes right back to expected levels after the change.

mikkl