Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compression test procedure

1996 Outback with 2.2. what is the method of doing a compression test on this. I am familiar with the normal single coil ignition, but how do I disable spark on the coil pack? Are there any other things to do for the test? Injectors were alluded to in one post. I have done a couple of searches, but nothing explains what and how.

Thanks, Jon

To do a compression test, you need to warm up the vehicle to normal operating temp.

Unplug the coil pack. There's a 3-wire connector. Also, unplug the connectors for the injectors. Pull the spark plugs, put the compression gauge on each cylinder.

Turn the engine over for several cranks with the throttle plate open all the way.

I just did this on a 91 legacy that was for sale, and then bought it. I found the connectors on the injectors difficult to remove so I disconnected the fuel pump instead.

It is easily accessible from the trunk area by unscrewing the passenger side carpet attached to the rear seat and removing the cover underneath this carpet section. Just 8 screws, and 1 connector instead of 4.

I just did this on a 91 legacy that was for sale, and then bought it. I found the connectors on the injectors difficult to remove so I disconnected the fuel pump instead.

It is easily accessible from the trunk area by unscrewing the passenger side carpet attached to the rear seat and removing the cover underneath this carpet section. Just 8 screws, and 1 connector instead of 4.

I will check it out tomorrow! Should I unplug and then run til dies? Thanks

Jon