Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to hook up trailer lights on my 97 Legacy L wagon. The etrailer.com website says Outbacks can use a T-0ne connector adapter, but says the Legacy should be hardwired.

Does the 97 Legacy L have a T-One connector, and where is it located? If not, where is the best place to tap into the existing wiring?

if etrailers.com says hardwire, then it is likely that the t-one conector is only on the Outback models. Sad, really. I connected my trailer wiring harness to the wires going into the left taillight, and threaded the connector through the plugs in the chasis.

I did a 90 wagon years ago. I wired/tapped into right behind the lights in the wireing and make the trailer connector long enough that I could keep it in the car. When I used the trailer I just tucked the wires out the bottem of the gate so that when they weren't in use they were in the spare tire well. Keeps them clean and always in good condition. Do you know how often I have had to use vehicles to tow with that had crappy wireing b/c it wasn't maintained????? If you can protect it...it will last longer with minimal effort.

When i wired up my impreza, i just went to NAPA and picked up a universal 6 lamp to 4 lamp kit (less than 20 bucks), and used those blue wire splicer things (you put one in, it taps that, and you connect the other w/ it...). To install i just ripped out the trim in the back, and ran the wires behind all of it, VERY simple installation. I also keep the wire IN the car, and whened i need them i just run them out the hatch through the gasket... i store the wire bundle in the little hatch where you have access to the rear brake/reverce lights. Hope this helps!

oh yeha.. if you're building your own trailer, don't wire the lights backwars on the trailer, i got some grief for that one :banghead: