Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 turbo gas mileage, why so low!

is the 06 wagon gas mileage "real world mileage" really only 24mpg HWY ?????????????????

assume the 2.5L turbo / 5 speed auto combo.

is the low EPA rating a function of gearing / auto tranny ?

or

do they assume more spirited driving which reduces mpg?

i usually get 28mpg hwy on an 04 outback 2.5L / 5 speed manual.

yes, call me granny

thanks

kleggo

http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications.jsp?year=2006&model=OUTBACK&trim=25_XT_WAGON&category=PERFORMANCE

Says 19/25 for a manual , your getting 24, thats pretty good.

Remeber the 2006 is most likely heavier, with higher output engine then your 2004. Also it takes a while for the engine to break in. Your doing pretty good.

EPA is usually overly optimisitc. Also its a turbo, every time that turbo spins up it sucks down the gas. i dont know if the car has a boost gauge on it or not, but you spin that turbo up more then you may realize.

nipper

Subaru's don't exactly get blazing mileage to begin with, but even if you manage to keep it out of boost on the freeway, the lower C.R. on the turbo motor is gonna return lower mileage than the normally aspirated version. Then like Nipper says, if you dip into boost, it drops even more.

After a couple of cars with supercharger and turbo there is a reason my Subie is not a turbo version. If gas mileage is no problem then the fun factor is way up on a turbo. If you put more air in you have to put more gas in. If you add another piece of equipment there is another system to repair.If the car is your fun car than more boost to ya!

Another reason a turbo car suffers from slightly lower mileage than a comparable normally aspirated car is that there is a huge restriction in the exhaust - the turbo. Off-boost mileage suffers from this, never mind those of us who can't get enough of the onset of boost. ;)