Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 OB purchase...maybe...help?

Actually that is not true, now they leak externally. My father in laws 03 just blew with 45k.

Sigh. Ok, as Gary pointed out this is where I'll hear from folks with complaints and issues but not from those with no problems. I guess I remember reading that the issues with the 2002 and later were much fewer and Subaru seems to be taking some responsibility for them.

If I buy an 02 with 60K on it isn't it at least under warranty for another 40K?

Here's one for instance: item 4601550454 on Ebay. Assuming this guy's story is true, why would the ins co total the car as soon as they heard the computer got wet? Will that create mega problems in the future? Otherwise this seems like a good deal.

Also, he says it's a limited. Wouldnt' a limited have leather seats?

nope. go buck wild on those.

Hi Gary,

I'm moving my choices up to the 02 and later models and so decided to look again at consumer reports data and lo! I found the original page that rated the 98 and 99 engines as "poor" (big black dot).

It seems CR has some minorly conflicting info up there. If you type subaru outback into the search page, then click on model overview of the Subaru Outback it shows up as I first saw it. Just important to me to prove I'm not crazy I guess.

J

Hi Gary,

I'm moving my choices up to the 02 and later models and so decided to look again at consumer reports data and lo! I found the original page that rated the 98 and 99 engines as "poor" (big black dot).

It seems CR has some minorly conflicting info up there. If you type subaru outback into the search page, then click on model overview of the Subaru Outback it shows up as I first saw it. Just important to me to prove I'm not crazy I guess.

J

All the 2.5 motors can have HG issues, this is the case for phase I 96-99 or phase II 00-04. You are not safer with one or the other.

I personally think the 96-99 are better looking cars than the 2nd generation outback’s.

Just use this fact as a bargaining chip when you buy the car. Take what it will cost for replacement off what you pay for the car, then you have this money as insurance. If it happens you are covered, if it does not you have extra money.

It really seams like a crap shoot if they will blow or not, it really depends on climate, maintance habits, etc.

Considering this is the only real trouble issue with the cars, I consider them to be very reliable great vehicles.

96-99 2.5 are Phase I DOHC motors. but then my frather in laws 02 blew at 35k.

So, it seems as though the HG issues re-occurred in the 02 models???

See where I'm going with this. Thanks for helping me to illustrate my point Rich.

While YES there are going to be some poor gaskets in circulation, there are, IMHO, more HG blown to pure stupidity or lack of sense. You can't walk out to your car (ANY VEHICLE) while it's cold, turn it over, then gun it. We had this moron at work for a couple months (had to fire him, no common sense or aptitude) who would get in his BRAND NEW jetta, turn it, gun it to about 5k a couple times, then peel out. This idiot would do this in 20 degree weather and would even chirp his tires into 2nd. It took all of two weeks for him to blow his Water Pump and HG. Luckily for him, he did that damage so quick that the dealer fixed for free.

IMO, provided you truely did NOT get a bad HG, all you need to do is adhere to the simple laws of thermal dynamics, more specifically expansion and contraction in conjunction with the materials used in the components, and exercise good judgement, and you will be fine.

I drive fairly dukes of hazzardish. AFTER I have reached operating temp. No probs. A good rule of thumb is to shift below 3500rpm until warmed up. That is what the vehicle wants if left in D. I manually shift during warm up for particular reasons, but am VERY certain NOT to pin it above 3500. Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your new ride.

Lastly, timing belt aside, the little things that add up and need to be taken into account when purchasing a used vehicle of 80K+ miles are the following:

o2 sensors (Pre-Cat, Post-Cat)

Alternator

Battery

Fuel Filter

Diff and tranny service

Struts

Thermostat

HVAC System

Tires

Brakes

and the BIG ONE which we have seen alot of (myself in particular) CRANK PULLEY.

For one reason or another, the Woodruff key tends to be torn off the crankshaft making the pulley impossible to stabilize, and the car un-drivable. NO power steering, alternator... This is about a $450 fix. You can get an idea about the pulley by watching it turn. If it seems out of balance, you need to get it looked at.

So, it seems as though the HG issues re-occurred in the 02 models???

Not just the 02 models, there are issues with all 00-04 Phase II motors. These leak externally instead of internally like phase I but can still be an issue. I work with a lot of subaru owners, car of choice in Colorado, and about 2 of 10 have had HG issues. One was a 01 with 101k the other a 98 with 120k.

The net of this is Phase I and II are susceptible to HG failures.

Not just the 02 models, there are issues with all 00-04 Phase II motors. These leak externally instead of internally like phase I but can still be an issue. I work with a lot of subaru owners, car of choice in Colorado, and about 2 of 10 have had HG issues. One was a 01 with 101k the other a 98 with 120k.

The net of this is Phase I and II are susceptible to HG failures.

At least 02 and later cars might have some sort of warranty. Does Subaru make any diesels? I took this pic of a Subaru in Costa Rica this Oct and it opened my eyes to the fact that they make some cool vehicles that we don't see in this country.

(hope this pic attachment works)

post-16967-136027605714_thumb.jpg

check out the volvo 850 wagon turbos..... their safer, muuuch quicker, quiter, more luxurious, and i think the price is about the same

Until you take them in for service.

They have some major issues with their AWD tranny's, drive by wire modules, and heater cores.

These are great cars but have some major service issues.

Each of these repairs cost around $3k each so the price is the same until you need them fixed. Makes the $1200 HG fix look cheap.

Forget the Outback and find a Legacy L with a 2.2 engine. NEVER had a problem with mine. Still, make sure the timing belt has been changed if over 60,000 miles. Oh, and how could you live with that non-functional Ouback "hood scoop"?

Find a Legacy. Lose the Outback (for that year).

Juan

Forget the Outback and find a Legacy L with a 2.2 engine. NEVER had a problem with mine. Still, make sure the timing belt has been changed if over 60,000 miles. Oh, and how could you live with that non-functional Ouback "hood scoop"?

Find a Legacy. Lose the Outback (for that year).

Juan

I'm not sure which year your addressing at this point but I've had older cars all my life (currently '89 Accord) and I'm wanting something newer. 2.2's are hard to find in newer cars and Subarus are already hard to find around here. I'm watching Ebay but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a car unseen.

Thanks,

John

(still reading this thread)