Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 Enginer Upgrades

:D Hi I was wondering what I can do to the EA-81 1800 to beef it up? I am just researching it now, but this would be a list of any upgrades that could be done to a 1985 GL brat engine. I would like to compose a dream list for it. I have heard many people speak of Weber, of which I have in a Volkswagen Bug and very fond of. I would like all upgrades to be capable of driving onroad/offroad with pump gas.

If you know any kits or shiny things I can look at with price tags! please send me links or pictures! Let me know of any ideas you have for upgrades to.

Thanks, Mr Fishums

hi flow exhaust, weber, accel coil (if the 85 your talking about is the one i think it is, its already in there:) ) 1600 pistons, if you are willing to spend some money, go to ram engines, they will sell you a rebuilt ea81 putting out 150hp, but it is not cheap at all.

if you want to talk to a guy who knows about ea81 performance, look up club member Ben-ny on this message board. when you come down to look at the brat, stop at his house, he lives like a mile away from me.

Use an EA-82 carb intake manifold under the Weber. It has a larger port opening for the carb, and I think the runners are larger too. Some mods have to be done to the intake to clear the disty, but it fits. The EA-82 lower radiator hose works for the upper hose, with some trimming.

Do the other things mentioned above also.

Have pics here of my last swap, I can send them to you. I spun the Weber 180* on this last one, less interferrance with disty that way.