Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing new brake pads - advice?

I need new brake pads on our 2000 Outback (95,000 miles). I am sure I can do the job myself this weekend. Before I jack it up, get the wheels off, what tools will I need? Any other advice?

(Replaced the brake pads on my Chevy Silverado a few months ago, and realized into the job I needed a large torx wrench, instead of the large allen wrench I had for prior years Chevy trucks)

Thanks for your help!

-Kev

I need new brake pads on our 2000 Outback (95,000 miles). I am sure I can do the job myself this weekend. Before I jack it up, get the wheels off, what tools will I need? Any other advice?

(Replaced the brake pads on my Chevy Silverado a few months ago, and realized into the job I needed a large torx wrench, instead of the large allen wrench I had for prior years Chevy trucks)

Thanks for your help!

-Kev

Nothing fancy, just metric wrenches, no torx crap like GM.

And a bungee cord. I use the bungee to hold the caliper up out of the way.

If you are replacing pads only and not machining or replacing rotors (which is probably not the best idea but that depends on the condition of the rotors), just remove the lower caliper bolt, then pivot the caliper assembly upward with the upper caliper bolt still in place. That will allow you to access the pads without having to remove the caliper.

you need:

a 19mm socket (lug nuts)

a 14mm socket (caliper bolts)

a 17mm socket (if you're doing the rotors, for the calipet bracket)

a C Clamp (to compress the caliper, your new pads will be fatter than the old ones)

a wire brush (to clean up the thing the pads slide on)

some acetone (to wipe rotor clean, if you're putting a new one one)

a hammer (to convince the rotor it wants to come off)

a screw driver (sometimes the pads don't want to come off either...)

Tips? maybe.. get the right parts, and put it together the same way you took it apart. As for the caliper, if you take it all off, i just turn it around and hang it on the axle... ALSO, i usually hit all the bolts with some PB Blaster before i start... makes things come out easier.

For rounded bolts, i hear the craftsman bolt extractor thing works really well, or you could just drill & tap the thing.. but that's just overkill.