Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just replaced the oem filter with a K&N and just wanted to post this....

First I know the reputation for K&N products, high quality and they meet your expectations but this is a first for me. The instructions, yes I said instructions, for an air filter change, wanted me to remove the entire air box to replace just the filter. This is a straight up filter only exchange. I could not believe it. This is not a rant or a rave (Craig) just WOW. All I did was remove the top cover, pull the old out, put the new in, made sure all was in place including the little tabs that hold the lower side on, and put the cover back on correct. Oh yes then I put that little sticker on telling everyone I have a K&N product in my car.

Just to keep everything in perspective this is a stock '03 Outback sedan H6 3.0. I have changed to Mobil 1 5W30 for the winter and run the medium grade gasoline. I am getting 25.7 - 26 mpg now and hope to get a little more with the high flow filter. Most all is highway 65 - 75 mph.

Joe

I just replaced the oem filter with a K&N and just wanted to post this....

First I know the reputation for K&N products, high quality and they meet your expectations but this is a first for me. The instructions, yes I said instructions, for an air filter change, wanted me to remove the entire air box to replace just the filter. This is a straight up filter only exchange. I could not believe it. This is not a rant or a rave (Craig) just WOW. All I did was remove the top cover, pull the old out, put the new in, made sure all was in place including the little tabs that hold the lower side on, and put the cover back on correct. Oh yes then I put that little sticker on telling everyone I have a K&N product in my car.

Just to keep everything in perspective this is a stock '03 Outback sedan H6 3.0. I have changed to Mobil 1 5W30 for the winter and run the medium grade gasoline. I am getting 25.7 - 26 mpg now and hope to get a little more with the high flow filter. Most all is highway 65 - 75 mph.

Joe

please let us know how your milage turns out,better or worse.

i would think different vehicles have varying responses. they have an effect on XT6's based on my experience and others that have used it. not very much, i wouldn't consider it a "performance" mod, but i do get a little better highway gas mileage with them. speaking of which, i'll do some tests with mine as it's not in right now. and i have one for my OBS too that's not installed yet. when i get a chance for a highway trip (consistent, all highway miles) i'll do a test. did it about ten years ago between MD and GA and got a little better MPG but it's hard to be sure since it was so long ago and out of memory.